Comparing non-numerical data, for example 2D and 2E. = and <=

mtaylor

Board Regular
Platform
  1. Windows
  2. MacOS
Hi all,

I am comparing student marks from two columns. All the other year groups have simply used numeric values which I can easily compare, unfortunately one group has used letters with their numbers!

Here's what I was previously using:

=sumproduct(--('KG2'!E3:E26<='KG2'!F3:F26))

All the results for this new tab (KG1) are either 1D or 1E, with 1D being greater than 1E

I essentially have two cells, one calculating how many are <= and one calculating are<

Many thanks in advance

Matt

Excel Facts

Easy bullets in Excel
If you have a numeric keypad, press Alt+7 on numeric keypad to type a bullet in Excel.
It might help if you told us what the limits are for the grades. That is, what is the lowest and highest number grade? When letters are used... are there only one letter after the number? is there always a number when there is a letter? what range of letters are we talking about? You can also add anything else about your grading system that you think might help (remember, we know nothing about what your data looks like so you have to tell us).

Upvote 0
It might help if you told us what the limits are for the grades. That is, what is the lowest and highest number grade? When letters are used... are there only one letter after the number? is there always a number when there is a letter? what range of letters are we talking about? You can also add anything else about your grading system that you think might help (remember, we know nothing about what your data looks like so you have to tell us).
True, thanks Rick

At present it only contains 1E and then 1D, however as the year progresses 1C, 1B and 1A would come into operation. 1A being the best, 1E being the worst.

Upvote 0
Does this formula give you the results you expect...
Excel Formula:
=SUMPRODUCT(--(LEFT('KG2'!B3:B26)&IFERROR("."&CODE(MID('KG2'!B3:B26,2,1))-64,".0")<=LEFT('KG2'!C3:C26)&IFERROR("."&CODE(MID('KG2'!C3:C26,2,1))-64,".0")))

Upvote 0
You don't mention or give any examples from this group of marks starting with anything but "1". If that is so then this may do what you want.

Excel Formula:
=SUMPRODUCT(--(RIGHT('KG2'!E3:E26,1)>=RIGHT('KG2'!F3:F26,1)))

If the leading number can be anything other than 1, please give some realistic examples (eg could it be more than one digit?) and the expected results with any further explanation. For example, is 2A better or worse than 1B etc?

Upvote 0
Solution
Love it, many thanks chaps.

There may be developments to this as the year progresses but for now I'd say we're laughing.

Thanks again.

Upvote 0
You're welcome. Glad we could help. Thanks for the follow-up. :)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Motoracer88

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back