Complicated Excel Formula / Date /Sum problem - please help

alinka

Board Regular
Hi, I have a complicated (for my brain) excel problem:

1) I need to share revenues between two employees and want to create automatic formulas. The revenue is shared for 2 years only. In the 1st year, the revenue is shared 50%-50%. In the 2nd year, the revenue is shared 25%-75%.

2) The exact revenue share END date for each year is specified in the file always, so there's no need to think or make formulas for the dates. In the attached image, that is column B and C.

Now keep in mind that we only care about 2003 revenues:
3) What has to be calculated is the dollar amount of revenue share for each person.
So for example, for the Person#1: (see attached picture)
a) Since the 1st yr Share End Date is Dec-02, since it's now May-03, in the 1st year -- there are no revenues shared in the 1st year, because the date has expired, i.e. the last date to share revenues was Dec-02.
b) Now for the 2nd year share, since the 2nd yr Share End Date is Dec-03, and it's now May-03, we need to take any and all revenues for 2003 (Sum of columns G-J), but only up until May-03, because after May-03, there's no more share, i.e. after May-03, we are no longer sharing anything.

a) and b) fills in columns D & E without taking the 50% and 25%.

3) Another example for Person#3:
a) Since the 1st yr share end date is Jan-04, we ARE sharing revenues in the 1st yr (unlike in the 1st example) Since it's now May03, we are taking a sum of all the months of 2003 for which we have revenues -- cause the end date is Jan-2004. Hence column D is a sum of columns G:J

b) Since the 2nd yr share end date is Jan-2005 and 1st year share date does not expire until Jan-2004, we do not YET have any revenues being shared in 2003. That is, we would start sharing 2nd year share after Jan-2004.

4) The last step is to fill in the Total CNR shared column (ColumnF), in which we need to figure out the total revenue shared in 1st year by taking 50% of column D and total revenue shared in 2nd year by taking 25% of column E and then summing both numbers up. This part is very easy and I know how to do it (I use a formula: =D2*0.5+E2*0.25

What I need help is how to figure out 3a and 3b or columns D & E using a formula rather than manually doing a formula for each month.

See attached picture and if you have any questions, you can email me. Please know that any help is MUCH APPRECIATED.

Muchos Gracias, Thank you!!!!!!
Book4.xls
ABCDEFGHIJ
1Employee50% End Date25% End Date1st year share2nd year shareTotal CNR SharedJanFebMarApr
2Person 1Dec-02Dec-03-7519-250112(287)
3Person 2Dec-02Dec-03-117,08329,27128,45926,66033,56628,398
4Person 3Jan-04Jan-053,727-1,863-1,4171,1031,207
5Person 4Sep-02Sep-03-11328121108
6Person 5Feb-03Feb-04(38)(32)(27)(25)(13)(15)(17)
Sheet1

Excel Facts

How to create a cell-sized chart?
Tiny charts, called Sparklines, were added to Excel 2010. Look for Sparklines on the Insert tab.
Re: Complicated Excel Formula / Date /Sum problem - please h

That's a lot to digest in one go :)

in the absence of any answers yet, a suggestion - break you question down into individual, self-contained pieces & post each question separately as you get to them...

Upvote 0
Re: Complicated Excel Formula / Date /Sum problem - please h

Hi! Thank you for your response.

I can't really break down the questions - because there's really only one question. Which involves the dates - not sure what formula to use. The rest is just an explanation of what I'm trying to do. :( Please let me know if there's anything you can teach me. Thank you for reading and taking time!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ripvw

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back