Concat Function keeps values as function and when dragged to the cell below doesn't change cell reference

SRSAND1960

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Greetings,
I've spent a few hours trying to figure out why I have to highlight the concat, textjoin, Concatenate function and hit F9 to get the values to show as the string that I want. I have searched and searched. My advanced options are set correctly, (auto). I tried switching to Manual and back, that did nothing.
Problem 1: My formula is easy =CONCAT(C3,"-",D3,"-",E3,"-",F3,"-",G3). When I select it and hit F9 it displays the value. I have typed this in and used the Fx option. It doesn't make a difference on the execution.
Problem 2: Same formula when I click as a Function and drag down to the cell below the cell #s in the reference do not change e.g., in H3 I enter =CONCAT(C3,"-",D3,"-",E3,"-",F3,"-",G3) I copy it down to H4 and it is still =CONCAT(C3,"-",D3,"-",E3,"-",F3,"-",G3). I've also tried the =C3&"-"&D3&"-"&E3&"-"&F3&"-"&G3, when copied the function goes to =C3&"-"&D3&"-"&E3&"-"&F3&"-"&G4, but the other numbers don't change.

Please help anyone... lost on an island and this is my note in a bottle...
Regards,
Steve

Excel Facts

Select all contiguous cells
Pressing Ctrl+* (asterisk) will select the "current region" - all contiguous cells in all directions.
Welcome to the Forum.

I see why you're sending out an SOS, an SOS to the world.

I tried all of the above and everything works as expected.

Try to start Excel in what's called Safe Mode. Do this:
Close all instances of Excel. Hold down CTRL and click on Excel to invoke it. Respond yes when asked about Safe Mode. Open a blank workbook and try your experiment with CONCAT. Close Excel.

Let us know if it works better.

Upvote 0
Solution
Doc, that worked... but it still doesn't work in the table with my data in. I tried with and without the "-" in the blank workbook. Which started as a table and then I converted to Range. HOWEVER Doc, when I copy the columns and put them in a blank sheet in Safe Mode it works fine... all of it.
I'm unclear what is happening with the other sheet and actually spent about 5 hours Google, MS, youTube etc.
I can take what I need from the Safe Mode page and paste it in my workbook. I'm actually a wiz at MS products and this was stumping me.
What does the safe mode do and thank you kindly Doc... like a million!
Regards,
Steve

Upvote 0
Doc, what is interesting is when I copy the whole sheet and drop it in the workbook that I had opened in safe mode the same thing happens. No Dice... When I just copy the columns I want to concat it worked. Regardless, I have the column I need for the broken workbook. Not sure what is up with that and why the Fx stays as a function either. Had me going Nuts all day and couldn't let it go.
Thank you kindly.

Upvote 0
Actually I believe that it had something to do with the headings I had in the table as I couldn't paste the results from the safe mode. I removed row 1 with the headers and now it worked. I've done this 100 times before and nothing like this has ever happened.
Thank you again Doc.

Upvote 0
Super - glad you figured it all out.

I'm only a doctor when the ladies call me that. Otherwise D and R are my initials.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erald

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back