Conditional Formatting Issues

txlonestarr

Office Version
  1. 2021
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi All!

I'm working on a large master spreadsheet for work and I'm having an issue with conditional formatting. To summarize, I have two columns I'm working on, adding and removing clients. The first rule is to highlight any duplicate names in the spreadsheet. The second rule is to highlight any names that are "removals". The issue I'm having is that I want to NOT have the duplicate highlight if the duplicate is a removal.

Hopefully that makes sense! I'd be very helpful for any advice you're able to give!!

Thank you!

Excel Facts

What do {} around a formula in the formula bar mean?
{Formula} means the formula was entered using Ctrl+Shift+Enter signifying an old-style array formula.
Are you able to supply a visual? Otherwise, assuming its column A that you're working in; enter the formula:
Excel Formula:
=COUNTIF($A$1:$A$100, A1)>1
(change $A$1:$A$100 to match your range) in the "Conditional Formatting" section after selecting "New Rule". Just choose whatever highlight you like.

Upvote 0
Welcome to the MrExcel board!

If your question remains unresolved after these first two suggestions, please provide a small set of dummy sample data (preferably with XL2BB so we can easily copy for testing) and explain what should be highlighted and why in relation to that sample data.

Is this what you are after?

23 08 23.xlsm
AB
1NameStatus
2Name 1Removal
3Name 2Keep
4Name 3Keep
5Name 4Keep
6Name 1
7Name 2Keep
8Name 1
9Name 2Unknown
10Name 3
11Name 7Keep
12Name 3Keep
13Name 4Removal
CF
Cells with Conditional Formatting
CellConditionCell FormatStop If True
A2:A13Expression=AND(COUNTIF(A$2:A$13,A2)>1,COUNTIFS(A$2:A$13,A2,B$2:B$13,"Removal")=0)textNO

Upvote 0
Solution
Thanks for your replies! Those two formulas unfortunately did not work for what I needed them to. I am unable to upload to XL2BB but I have added a couple sample screenshots to show the data I am working with, and the conditional formatting formulas I currently have as well.

1692801853936.png
1692801884645.png

In the screenshot of the data, you can see that the 'remove' numbers are in red and the duplicates are in yellow. What I am trying to do is to only show yellow duplicates to numbers that are not removals. I only want duplicates to shown if there are two 'add's' in the data with the same numbers.

Hopefully this helps to clarify a little bit further.

thanks again

Upvote 0
Disregard my previous reply. I had a few formulas that were blocking the solution formula! Thanks so much for your help!

Upvote 0
You're welcome. Glad you got it sorted. Thanks for the follow-up. :)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aides

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back