conditional formula outputting the wrong result

kylefoley76

my formula is as follows

=IF(H69<-99,H69-100,IF(H69<-9,H69-10,H69-1))

when h69 = -12, the formula outputs -13 whereas it should output -22. Then I manually retype -12 in cell h69 then I get the correct result. The cells are in number format, so I don't understand what is going on.

Excel Facts

What do {} around a formula in the formula bar mean?
{Formula} means the formula was entered using Ctrl+Shift+Enter signifying an old-style array formula.
  • Ensure that the cell H69 is formatted as a number, not as text. If it is formatted as text, the formula will not work correctly.
  • If the cell is already formatted as a number, check if there are any leading or trailing spaces in the cell value that might cause it to be recognized as text. To fix this, select the cell, press F2 to edit the cell, and then press Enter.

Upvote 1
Do you have calculation off? Is it a big worksheet that needs to do lots and lots of calculations?
I just plugged it in and got -22 as well.

Upvote 0
at one time the column was formatted as text but i select the entire column and switch it to number, i then add one decimal place to make sure that it's no longer a text and this time all the cells that are giving me problems do not show up with a decimal place. I can't manually go through and fix 300 cells. I need to be able to quickly shift from text to number with no problems. I need to find a way to be able to convert text to number reliably and easily. i'm using excel for mac 16.66

Upvote 0
Sounds like H69 is being treated as text as already mentioned. Another option is to leave H69 that way, and instead alter your formula structure slightly.

Here you can see that H69 is text but -22 is returned by the reformatted formula.

BTW, I suggest that you update your Account details (click your user name at the top right of the forum) so helpers always know what Excel version(s) & platform(s) you are using as the best solution often varies by version. (Don’t forget to scroll down & ‘Save’)

23 01 30.xlsm
HIJ
69-12-22TRUE
Formula
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
I69I69=IF(H69+99<0,H69-100,IF(H69+9<0,H69-10,H69-1))
J69J69=ISTEXT(H69)

Upvote 0
Thanks for helping me out but I still don't understand how I am supposed to change the cells into number format, since changing the whole column to number format does not work. I also don't understand how to get the correct result if the cell is left as text format

Upvote 0
I also don't understand how to get the correct result if the cell is left as text format
Did you try the formula that I put in cell I69? (Make sure column I is not Text format before entering the formula)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hermansoa

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back