Connect to folder

albertan

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Hello, I wanted to check with our respectful members if they could help me whether it's possible to have a direct connection with a folder where there would be one .csv file but it will be replaced every day with a new name.

It works with Power Query in excel, but lots of data, I wanted to try to see how it works with MS Access.

Thanks in advance!

Excel Facts

What does custom number format of ;;; mean?
Three semi-colons will hide the value in the cell. Although most people use white font instead.
It would be far easier if the file always had the same name. Then you could just link the Access table to the CSV file by that name as shown here:

If it were me, I would create a subfolder, and schedule a daily job to copy whatever file is in the main folder to the subfolder, using the same name every time (so overwriting the old file).
So the linked table would always reflect the most recent data.

Either that or create a Macro or VBA procedure to delete the data from the current table and import all the files (which is only one) to your table every day.
Then you would just need to be sure to run that every day.

Upvote 0
Does Microsoft Access has ability to connect to the folder? I don't think it does and I asked about if data is large it seems like MS Access works better

Upvote 0
Does Microsoft Access has ability to connect to the folder?
Not really sure what you mean by that. Does any program have the ability to connect to a folder? The data doesn't exist at the folder level, but at the file level.
If you identify a folder location, you could write VBA code to import all the files found in that folder into Access.

Upvote 0
If you look at the last reply in this link, it shows you how to import all the files found in a certain folder, regardless of their file name:

Upvote 0
I want to connect to a folder with MS Access not through Excel ( like one can do through Power Query, where you can connect to a folder)
Can I please get answers from other folks who know MS Access thanks

Upvote 0
Can I please get answers from other folks who know MS Access thanks
I am afraid that you probably are not liekely to get much help with that kind of attitude!

I DO know Access, and all the links I provided are specifically for Access (have you even looked at any of them?).
So I am not sure where you are getting "Excel" from (unless you are referring to my signature that appears at the bottom of every post - that is a signature - it has nothing to do with the replies I have made).

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
afishi0nado

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back