Convert Excel Cell value formats B4 Access Table Insert

misterpox

Hello everyone,

I'm looking to see if anyone has any simple Access VB code to handle what I'm trying to do in my Access VB import command.

I have to import several Excel workbooks each containing sheets with 20K+ records into an existing Access table I've created that has the same layout as the spreadsheet column headings. The problem is that the Excel sheets were created from what looks like a simple text file dump into the sheet, making the cell values all having general format.

So for example, column A (field heading 'Event_Date') containing a date has the value, "06May2004", formatted as General. My Access table column 1 (named 'Event_Date') is set as a short date/time format. When I import the Excel sheet into the Access table, this field obviously bombs and doesn't import the values because of the data type differences.

The method I'm using to import the sheets is this (code summarized for illustration);

Option Compare Database
Option Explicit
Private Sub ImportEFXData_Click()

Dim mydbs As Database, myrst As Recordset
Dim filemssg, filetoopen, strfile As String

filemssg = "Please type the MSExcel file name you want to import."
filetoopen = InputBox(filemssg, "File Name Input")
DoCmd.TransferSpreadsheet acImport, 8, "ACCESS_TABLE_NAME", _
"C:\pathtoexcelworkbook\" & filetoopen, True, ""

Does anyone have a method in which I can loop through the field values in the Excel sheet and format them to the formats of the Access table prior to performing the transfer into the Access table? Or, is that not a very good way to do this, and some other method would be more efficient?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Excel Facts

Highlight Duplicates
Home, Conditional Formatting, Highlight Cells, Duplicate records, OK to add pink formatting to any duplicates in selected range.
Why import directly into the table?

You could import into a 'temporary' table, with all the field types as text.

You could then create queries to deal with the rogue data and then import it to the main table.

Upvote 0
Norie,

Good suggestion. I was hoping though to be able to perform the data type conversions, "on the fly", and was curious as to whether that would be more efficient in respect to processing/import time. Anyone have any input on that aspect?

Upvote 0
perform the data type conversions, "on the fly"

You could run the append queries via code and they could do the data conversion.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JayEggleton

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back