copy/paste table using VBA

Dnk_83

Morning! I have a workbook that has numerous sheets and each sheet has a table on it. The purpose of the workbook is to standardise naming convention for products, so each sheet is the family of products and the table in each sheet is the name of the product with columns for all the 'options' of the products as below:
Product nameOption 1Option 2Option 3Option 4Option 5Option 6Option 7
Product 1Option 1aOption 2aOption 3aOption 5aOption 6aOption 7a
Option 1bOption 2bOption 3bOption 7b
Option 7c
Product 2Option 1aOption 2aOption 3aOption 5aOption 6aOption 7a
Option 1b
Product 3Option 1aOption 2aOption 3aOption 4aOption 5aOption 6aOption 7a
Option 1bOption 2bOption 3bOption 5bOption 7b
Option 2c
Option 2d
Option 2e
Option 2f

the idea is to have dependent drop downs where you select the 'family' (i.e. worksheet name) and then product name (column A of the 'family' worksheet) and then option 1 dropdown, option 2 dropdown etc.

I already have VBA coding in place so that each time the sheet is opened a list is created of each sheet name ('Master' sheet, col.A) and the corresponding table on that sheet ('Master' sheet, col.B) so that more sheets/tables can be added.

The issue that I am having is that I am not sure how to create the drop down lists that are dependent on the previous selection? e.g. If you select Product 1 in the first dropdown, then how would you generate the drop downs of the options JUST for product 1? Let me know if anyone needs more information! And i am happy to email a generic workbook (product name removed for privacy!) if it is needed. Thanks in advance!

Excel Facts

Get help while writing formula
Click the italics "fx" icon to the left of the formula bar to open the Functions Arguments dialog. Help is displayed for each argument.
The issue that I am having is that I am not sure how to create the drop down lists that are dependent on the previous selection? e.g. If you select Product 1 in the first dropdown, then how would you generate the drop downs of the options JUST for product 1?

1. What about option2, does it depends on option1? and option3 depends on option 2? etc?
2. Could you upload a sample workbook (without sensitive data) to a sharing site like dropbox.com or google drive?
And then share the link here.

Upvote 0
1. What about option2, does it depends on option1? and option3 depends on option 2? etc?
2. Could you upload a sample workbook (without sensitive data) to a sharing site like dropbox.com or google drive?
And then share the link here.
1. Some of the options are unique to the product, the options are only dependent on the product, not the other options.
2. link: Naming Convention - product descriptions.xlsm

Upvote 0
I've downloaded your file.
I'm confused, you have sheets family 1 to family 4, do you want to have dropdown on each sheets from column Option 1 to the last column?
What is the source of the dropdown? All I can see is all sheets already have some data in it.
Can you give an example what you're trying to do, step by step?

Upvote 0
I'm confused, you have sheets family 1 to family 4, do you want to have dropdown on each sheets from column Option 1 to the last column?
What is the source of the dropdown? All I can see is all sheets already have some data in it.
Better idea! This is the link for what i managed to put together: Naming Convention - product descriptions (my attempt).xlsm

It is messy as hell (FYI the blue columns would all be hidden) and the ONLY way i can get it to work is to ensure each option has the product name on the same line so it pulls all the data through.

Ideally I am wanting it to be cleaner by using VBA more and to have it future proofed so that if lines are added to the tables or sheets are added to the workbook i don't need to re-write formulas to include them!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi Akuini, did what i supply help with the sort of thing that i am looking for?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amyap

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back