Copy/Paste with Variable Workbook Name

dwool40

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I am trying to run a simple macro that will copy from a downloaded workbook with a variable name to a workbook with a permanent name.

VBA Code:
Sub CopyUA()
Workbooks("UnitAvailabilityDetails11_08_2021.xlsx").Worksheets("Report1").Range("A10:R300").Copy
Sheets("Unit Availability").Range("A8").PasteSpecial Paste:=xlPasteValues
End Sub

The UnitAvailabilityDetails11_08_2021.xlsx changes daily with the date. I'm sure this is a simple solution so thanks in advance!

Excel Facts

How to total the visible cells?
From the first blank cell below a filtered data set, press Alt+=. Instead of SUM, you will get SUBTOTAL(9,)
One way:
VBA Code:
Sub CopyUA()
    Dim wbName As String
    wbName = "UnitAvailabilityDetails" & Format(Date, "mm_dd_yyyy") & ".xlsx"
    Workbooks(wbName).Worksheets("Report1").Range("A10:R300").Copy
End Sub

Upvote 0
Solution
One way:
VBA Code:
Sub CopyUA()
    Dim wbName As String
    wbName = "UnitAvailabilityDetails" & Format(Date, "mm_dd_yyyy") & ".xlsx"
    Workbooks(wbName).Worksheets("Report1").Range("A10:R300").Copy
End
[/QUOTE]

Seems so simple. THANK YOU!

Another question maybe for another thread. Is it possible to do a wildcard for a variable workbook name? Same copy/paste but for a different workbook. This filename adds a number if there is an existing file when downloaded.

DataGridExport.xlsx can have a (1), (2), etc. at the send of the file name.

Upvote 0
Another question maybe for another thread. Is it possible to do a wildcard for a variable workbook name? Same copy/paste but for a different workbook. This filename adds a number if there is an existing file when downloaded.

DataGridExport.xlsx can have a (1), (2), etc. at the send of the file name.
It might possibly have to be a new question, but the questions I have for you is:
- How is this file being opened in the first place (you code is running like this file is already opened)?
- How many other Excel files are open at the same time?

The reason why I ask is because depending on the answers to those questions, we maybe able to dynamically "capture" the file name as it is being opened, or by process of elimination (if it is the only other open Excel file at the time).

Upvote 0
It might possibly have to be a new question, but the questions I have for you is:
- How is this file being opened in the first place (you code is running like this file is already opened)?
- How many other Excel files are open at the same time?

The reason why I ask is because depending on the answers to those questions, we maybe able to dynamically "capture" the file name as it is being opened, or by process of elimination (if it is the only other open Excel file at the time).
There are 2 workbooks downloaded every morning. Currently, my team is using copy/paste to import the information. However, half of my team of 90 is computer challenged. I actually had to teach someone to right-click. Now they can simply click a button to import each downloaded workbook into the master but, with the (#) being added they need to empty the downloads folder before they can run the new reports.

The process is:
Empty download folder
Open master workbook
Download and open both reports
Click buttons to import (copy/paste) new info
Save master and close the 2 downloaded reports

I hope that makes sense. If it is too complicated to account for the (#) variable it's not that big of a deal. I was looking for a way for them to not have to empty the downloads folder every day.

Upvote 0
Empty download folder
Open master workbook
Download and open both reports
Click buttons to import (copy/paste) new info
Save master and close the 2 downloaded reports
It seems to me like you should/could be able to automate ALL of these steps in VBA code, rather than doing these steps manually and separately.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Omer Lutfu Neziroglu

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back