Copying a worksheet that holds worksheet code in a VBA project to another workbook

sspatriots

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I found the following statement on a Microsoft learning website:

"If you don't specify either Before or After, Microsoft Excel creates a new workbook that contains the copied Worksheet object. The newly created workbook holds the Application.ActiveWorkbook property and contains a single worksheet. The single worksheet retains the Name and CodeName properties of the source worksheet. If the copied worksheet held a worksheet code sheet in a VBA project, that is also carried into the new workbook."

I have a macro that goes out and gets a worksheet from another workbook and copies it into my workbook. However, the worksheet code does not come with it. Am I doing something wrong or misinterpreting the statement?

Thanks, SS

VBA Code:
Sub CopyPRODSCHEDFromClosedWB()
Application.ScreenUpdating = False

Set closedBook = Workbooks.Open(Filename:="H:\DEM Shop Files\MRL Production Schedule\DEM Production Schedule.xlsm")  'Selected File full path
    closedBook.Sheets("COMM - In Production").Copy Before:=ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("2023")
    closedBook.Sheets("COMM - Completed").Copy Before:=ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("2023")
    closedBook.Sheets("MRL - In Production").Copy Before:=ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("2023")
    closedBook.Sheets("MRL - Completed").Copy Before:=ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("2023")

closedBook.Close SaveChanges:=False

Application.ScreenUpdating = True
End Sub

Excel Facts

How can you automate Excel?
Press Alt+F11 from Windows Excel to open the Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) editor.
To get around the problem, I ended up putting the following code in my "ThisWorkbook" module so it would still work when the worksheets from other workbooks were copied into the file.

I would still like to know if there is something I'm missing with the Microsoft comment in my previous post.

VBA Code:
Function InRange(Range1 As Range, Range2 As Range) As Boolean

If Range1.Parent.Name = Range2.Parent.Name Then
    InRange = Not (Application.Intersect(Range1, Range2) Is Nothing)
Else
    InRange = False
End If

End Function

Private Sub Workbook_SheetBeforeDoubleClick(ByVal Sh As Object, ByVal Target As Range, Cancel As Boolean)

If InRange(ActiveCell, Worksheets("COMM - In Production").Range("A:A")) Then
        Selection.Copy Destination:=Sheets("Jobs").Range("COMMJNRange")

ReturnToJobsWSAfterCopyingCOMMJN

End If

If InRange(ActiveCell, Worksheets("COMM - Completed").Range("A:A")) Then
        Selection.Copy Destination:=Sheets("Jobs").Range("COMMJNRange")

ReturnToJobsWSAfterCopyingCOMMJN

End If

If InRange(ActiveCell, Worksheets("MRL - In Production").Range("A:A")) Then
        Selection.Copy Destination:=Sheets("Jobs").Range("MRLJNRange")

ReturnToJobsWSAfterCopyingMRLJN

End If

If InRange(ActiveCell, Worksheets("MRL - Completed").Range("A:A")) Then
        Selection.Copy Destination:=Sheets("Jobs").Range("MRLJNRange")

ActiveSheet.ShowAllData

ReturnToJobsWSAfterCopyingMRLJN

End If

End Sub

Upvote 0
Hi sspatriots. I'll relate my experience. I was trying to copy a ws and code from another wb to ThisWorbook but it would not work. What did work, was placing the sheet code in ThisWorkbook and before copying the new sheet, renaming the sheet with the code to "temp" and then copying the external sheet to ThisWorbook and renaming it to the original sheet name....and then deleting the "temp" sheet. Not sure if this is the same as the MS learning site, but it works. HTH. Dave

Upvote 0
If you're only copying a Sheet, wouldn't only the code that is written in the Sheet be copied?

Upvote 0
If you're only copying a Sheet, wouldn't only the code that is written in the Sheet be copied?
The code for the sheet did not come over with the code in my original post. The workaround in the second post does seem to be performing the way I wanted.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fragment

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back