Copying delimited values within a cell into their own cells

rybals

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi all I'm currently working on a worksheet that has some cells containing numbers delimited with commas. All these cells are in the same column. The cells either have a single value with no commas, two values separated by one comma or three values with a comma after the first and second. I would like to copy these values and put them into their own columns/cells (without the commas). I have managed to get it working when there is one or three values separated by commas, but not two. Here are the formulas I am using for the three columns:

Cell A1 contains 1,2 or 3 values separated by commas (actually on another worksheet but I have called A1 to simplify things).

Cell B1 Formula: =IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH(",",A1)),LEFT(A1,SEARCH(",",A1,1)-1),IF(A1<>"",A1,""))
Works for 1,2 or 3 values in A1.

Cell C1 Formula: =IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH(",",A1)),MID(A1,SEARCH(",",A1)+1,SEARCH(",",A1,SEARCH(",",A1)+1)-SEARCH(",",A1)-1),"")
Works for 1 or 3 values in A1. Not working for 2 (cell displays #VALUE! instead of value).

Cell D1 Formula: =IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH(",",A1)),RIGHT(A1,LEN(A1)-SEARCH(",",A1,SEARCH(",",A1)+1)),"")
Works for 1 or 3 values in A1. Not working for 2 (cell displays #VALUE! but should be blank).

I would also like to eventually expand this to be able to read half a dozen delimited values from one cell and insert data into their own cells/columns.

If anyone is able to provide a better (and fully working) formula that is more easily expandable, it would be much appreciated. Thank you.

1 value.PNG

2values.PNG
3values.PNG

Excel Facts

How to find 2nd largest value in a column?
MAX finds the largest value. =LARGE(A:A,2) will find the second largest. =SMALL(A:A,3) will find the third smallest
Try this:

=TRIM(MID(SUBSTITUTE($A1,",",REPT(" ",LEN($A1))),LEN($A1)*COLUMNS($A1:A1)-LEN($A1)+1,LEN($A1)))

Upvote 0
Thanks. That works great when the source cell is in same table, however I cannot get it to work when the source is in another worksheet i.e. sheet2!A1.

Upvote 0
It's irrelevant which sheet it's in as long as you refer to that cell in all instances in the formula.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Motoracer88

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back