Count from multiple columns

avicric

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 2019
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi All,

I need help to create a measure which would provide the count of spareparts used
I have two sheets Sparepart dataset and unique sparepart list
My data set
Case id,
Status,
Sparepart1
Sparepart2
Sparepart3
Sparepart4
Sparepart5
Sparepart6
Sparepart7
Sparepart8
Depending on the repair case multiple spareparts can be used
So if only 1 spartpart was used entry will be only in sparepart1 and if 2 spareparts were used entry will be in Sparepart1 & Sparepart2
I have tried to create a measure
Spares:=VAR P1=Calculate(Countrows(dataset sheet),Sparepart1<>Blank())
P2=Calculate(Countrows(dataset sheet),Sparepart2<>Blank())
P3=Calculate(Countrows(dataset sheet),Sparepart3<>Blank())
P4=Calculate(Countrows(dataset sheet),Sparepart4<>Blank())
P5=Calculate(Countrows(dataset sheet),Sparepart5<>Blank())
P6=Calculate(Countrows(dataset sheet),Sparepart6<>Blank())
P7=Calculate(Countrows(dataset sheet),Sparepart7<>Blank())
P8=Calculate(Countrows(dataset sheet),Sparepart8<>Blank())
RETURN
P1+P2+P3+P4+P5+P6+P7+P8

This is is duplicating the counts

Excel Facts

How to find 2nd largest value in a column?
MAX finds the largest value. =LARGE(A:A,2) will find the second largest. =SMALL(A:A,3) will find the third smallest
Hi,

I don't understand what you're trying to do.
The attempted measure can never be right because it's missing to much elements however when corrected for the mistakes in DAX it should read like this:
Spares:=
VAR P1=Calculate(Countrows(dataset sheet),FILTER(dataset sheet;[Sparepart1]<>Blank()))
VAR P2=Calculate(Countrows(dataset sheet),FILTER(dataset sheet;[Sparepart2]<>Blank()))
VAR P3=Calculate(Countrows(dataset sheet),FILTER(dataset sheet;[Sparepart3]<>Blank()))
VAR P4=Calculate(Countrows(dataset sheet),FILTER(dataset sheet;[Sparepart4]<>Blank()))
VAR P5=Calculate(Countrows(dataset sheet),FILTER(dataset sheet;[Sparepart5]<>Blank()))
VAR P6=Calculate(Countrows(dataset sheet),FILTER(dataset sheet;[Sparepart6]<>Blank()))
VAR P7=Calculate(Countrows(dataset sheet),FILTER(dataset sheet;[Sparepart7]<>Blank()))
VAR P8=Calculate(Countrows(dataset sheet),FILTER(dataset sheet;[Sparepart8]<>Blank()))
RETURN
P1+P2+P3+P4+P5+P6+P7+P8

This will not duplicatre the count of spareparts used. It will however duplicate the count of the number of cases in which a sparepart is used.
Hopes this helps.

Upvote 0
Hi,

I don't understand what you're trying to do.
The attempted measure can never be right because it's missing to much elements however when corrected for the mistakes in DAX it should read like this:
Spares:=
VAR P1=Calculate(Countrows(dataset sheet),FILTER(dataset sheet;[Sparepart1]<>Blank()))
VAR P2=Calculate(Countrows(dataset sheet),FILTER(dataset sheet;[Sparepart2]<>Blank()))
VAR P3=Calculate(Countrows(dataset sheet),FILTER(dataset sheet;[Sparepart3]<>Blank()))
VAR P4=Calculate(Countrows(dataset sheet),FILTER(dataset sheet;[Sparepart4]<>Blank()))
VAR P5=Calculate(Countrows(dataset sheet),FILTER(dataset sheet;[Sparepart5]<>Blank()))
VAR P6=Calculate(Countrows(dataset sheet),FILTER(dataset sheet;[Sparepart6]<>Blank()))
VAR P7=Calculate(Countrows(dataset sheet),FILTER(dataset sheet;[Sparepart7]<>Blank()))
VAR P8=Calculate(Countrows(dataset sheet),FILTER(dataset sheet;[Sparepart8]<>Blank()))
RETURN
P1+P2+P3+P4+P5+P6+P7+P8

This will not duplicatre the count of spareparts used. It will however duplicate the count of the number of cases in which a sparepart is used.
Hopes this helps.

You are correct....
I have a unique sparepart list against which i want to show the counts...
With filters/slicers for Month/Region/Product etc....

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Doanvanhieu

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back