COUNTIF for a range of cells in a range of worksheets?

ser0tonin

Please pardon the wordiness, but this is kind of an obscure problem and I cannot figure out what is making the formula return an error message...<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
Background: I am working on creating an Excel spreadsheet for a coworker (see attached). She is not very Excel-savvy, so I am trying to make this as user-friendly as possible for her. The workbook contains the following sheets: Combined, Template, and DoNotEdit. She is working with a number of clients and will need a new sheet for each client, which will be inserted between “Template” and “DoNotEdit.” (I inserted a sample one called “Kiddo1”) On the “Combined” sheet, I have created formulas that will add the numerical data from “Template” through “DoNotEdit”, so that as long as she has inserted the new sheet between those two, every time she adds new data it will be incorporated into sum on the “Combined” sheet.<o:p></o:p>
Problem: In addition to numerical data, there is a column where she can select from a drop-down menu the condition(s) the individual she is working with has (the list of options that data validation is pulling from is on the “DoNotEdit” sheet). I would like to write a formula on the “Combined” sheet that will count the number of times a particular condition exists within a particular range of cells for a range of sheets.<o:p></o:p>
This is what I came up with =COUNTIF(Template:DoNotEdit!A32:A41,"Epilepsy") and it is returning the #VALUE! Error.
I would love to both have a formula that will work and an explanation of why the one I was trying did not work, if at all possible!

Thank you!!!

Excel Facts

What is the shortcut key for Format Selection?
Ctrl+1 (the number one) will open the Format dialog for whatever is selected.
Hello and welcome.

You can not attached your workbook here:

You can download and install two of the following programs:

HTLMaker

or
Excel Jeanie

or when using Internet Explorer just put borders around your data in Excel and copy those cells into your post.

Upvote 0
Sorry for the confusion -- the "see attached" was from an email when I sent the problem to a friend to try to get help!

Upvote 0
Try this:
Excel Workbook
AB
40Epilepsy
DONotEdit

Excel Workbook
A
32Epilepsy
Template

Excel Workbook
ABCDEFGHIJ
12Template
2DoNotEdit
Combined

You need to create a Named Range referes to:
=OFFSET(Combined!$J$1,,,COUNTA(Combined!$J$1:$J$100),)

In my example I called it "list"

And tell your friends that she need to add a name of new sheets into list once she created a new sheet.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
syzer

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back