Counting items in a grid using index, match and left

mark hansen

Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
I have a schedule that has people down the left side, and dates across the top. We enter our schedule using single letter codes such as “C”, “L” etc and the daily entry is something like “C L” (or “C{space}L”) to indicate they are in clinic for the AM and Lab for the PM. Some entries are C{space}C for clinic in the AM and PM.

I need to count up how many “C “ and “ C” there Are for a person in a given date range. I made a grid on another sheet that has the left column matching the list of names in the schedule sheet. Across the top are the codes used in the schedule and I have a beginning and ending date.

So, four variables – beginning date, Ending date, person’s name and schedule code.
The entire schedule range name is “SCHEDULE”.
The Providers range names in the Schedule sheet is “sProvider”
The dates range name in the schedule sheet is sDates

So far I have a formula =LEFT(INDEX(SCHEDULE,MATCH(CA27,sProvider,0),MATCH(CA21,sDate,0)),2)
This looks at the provider name (CA27) and the beginning date (CA21) and returns what I expect (C{space}). (I usually build long formulas from the inside out, but got stuck when it came time to get the range for the countifs).

Problem (I think)
I need to look at the row with the providers name in the SCHEDULE range beginning at the beginning date through the ending date and count how many times C{space} is in the first 2 characters of the cells in the range.

How would I define the range for the countifs? I’ll be adding that number to the amount of times I find {space}C is found in the right two characters in same range.

If you are wondering why I can’t just count the letter “C” it’s because some schedule codes are “CA” for an all-day code. That’s why they use a space to separate AM and PM.

Thanks for any help or insight.
Mark

Excel Facts

Convert text numbers to real numbers
Select a column containing text numbers. Press Alt+D E F to quickly convert text to numbers. Faster than "Convert to Number"
It isn't clear to me exactly how your ranges are named or whether you want a combined count for morning & afternoon or separate.
In any case this may get you going. I have done a combined count & have done it on a single sheet but you should be able to adapt to two sheets.
Post back with more exact details and/or sample data & expected results if this is incorrect or insufficient.

Formula in B10 is copied across and down.

Excel Workbook
ABCDEFGHI
101-Apr-1602-Apr-1603-Apr-1604-Apr-1605-Apr-1606-Apr-1607-Apr-1608-Apr-16
2Name 1C LC CCA LL C
3Name 2L CL LC C
4Name 3C LC CA
7Start02-Apr-16
8End06-Apr-16
9CLCA
10Name 1321
11Name 3211
12Name 2130
Schedule
#VALUE!
</td></tr></table></td></tr></table>

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Can you give us a complete list of the schedule conditions you're trying to count...

Upvote 0
Thanks so much Peter, that worked perfectly! Your example made it very easy to change the cell references to fit into my worksheet. I appreciate you quick and valuable help.

Paddy, currently they have 21 schedule codes for 21 locations (or coverage tasks) they need to get their people into. Some are considered undesirable so they will be using these counts to attempt to level the undesirable tasks across all of their staff.

Peter thanks again for your help.
Mark

Upvote 0
Thanks so much Peter, that worked perfectly! Your example made it very easy to change the cell references to fit into my worksheet. I appreciate you quick and valuable help.
You are very welcome. Thanks for the follow-up.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JayHo

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back