tezza

Office Version
  1. 2016
  2. 2010
Platform
  1. Windows
  2. Web
Hi

I'm just after a simple formula to show what the current amount of rent is due for the current month which rolls over to the next month.

Each row is a new month which should show 500 at the end of the month

Today should show on the row for December 5*(500/number of days in December) (5 as it's the fifth today, 6 tomorrow and so on)

Hope you can help

Excel Facts

What is the fastest way to copy a formula?
If A2:A50000 contain data. Enter a formula in B2. Select B2. Double-click the Fill Handle and Excel will shoot the formula down to B50000.
Something like this maybe

=DAY(TODAY())*500/DAY(EOMONTH(TODAY(),0))

Note that this will reset on the first day of each month. To make it an actual live amount, you would need a fixed starting date with a payment history to deduct.

Upvote 0
In Column A I have the 1st day of each month, so this works for December so how do I go about telling it that the previous months have passed and that the value should be 500?

Upvote 0
I think this works for what I need:

=if(month(today())<>month(A22),"", DAY(TODAY())*500/DAY(EOMONTH(A22,0)))

Thank you.

Upvote 0
Looking at your formula, I may have interpreted it slighly differently, where yours will be blank for all but the current month, this formula will show 0 for future months, 500 for past months or amount to date for current month.

=MEDIAN(0,500,(500/DAY(EOMONTH(A22,0)))*(TODAY()-A22+1))

Upvote 0
I've seen median being used but struggle to understand it's logic sometimes lol, in this instance how does it know if it's past, present or future?

Upvote 0
Removing median from the formula, you will be left with

=(500/DAY(EOMONTH(A22,0)))*(TODAY()-A22+1)

Which will return a due figure of more than 500 for past, or a negative amount for future dates.

Median will take the middle of 3 values, 0, 500 or the result of the calculation above.
If the calculation is negative (future) then the middle value of the 3 will be 0 ( 0 is more than a negative number but less than 500).
If the calculation is greater than 500 (past) then it will return 500, more than 0 but less than the calculation.
If the calculation is between 0 and 500 (present) then the calculation amount is returned.

Upvote 0
Removing median from the formula, you will be left with

=(500/DAY(EOMONTH(A22,0)))*(TODAY()-A22+1)

Which will return a due figure of more than 500 for past, or a negative amount for future dates.

Median will take the middle of 3 values, 0, 500 or the result of the calculation above.
If the calculation is negative (future) then the middle value of the 3 will be 0 ( 0 is more than a negative number but less than 500).
If the calculation is greater than 500 (past) then it will return 500, more than 0 but less than the calculation.
If the calculation is between 0 and 500 (present) then the calculation amount is returned.

That makes a lot more sense, thank you for clarifying.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ahmad123098

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back