Date and Time Stamp

gymwrecker

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
  2. MacOS
Is it possible to add a formula or instruction to a standard text in excel so when I copy and paste it will automatically add the date and time stamp?

This is a sample of a standard text I use since I approve 100's of personnel actions a day:

"Approved by Mr. John Doe on 05 May 23, 12:12 PM"

Can the underline date and time appear automatically when I copy in any particular cell?

Thank you awoohaw! I see now, I must enter "Control+Colon" space "Control+Semi-Colon"...

my intent was to update my workbook with only a copy and paste of the formula (=IF(SUM(--(B3:B5<>""))=3,B4&" by "&B5&" on "&TEXT(B3,"dd mmm, yyyy") & " @ " & TEXT(B3,"hh:mm:ss"),"") without the need of additional keystrokes like control+colon space control-semicolon.... while keeping the history of each update.
i thought you made that requirement clear in post #8. I'm curious then, what were you asking about in Post #8?

You could do no date entry in a cell with VBA. But I am not proficient at that. It would be some kind of worksheet change event where it looks for a change in either the approval or name cells and then creates the "approval by and date stamp" as a text and puts it into the desired cell.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Return population for a City
If you have a list of cities in A2:A100, use Data, Geography. Then =A2.Population and copy down.
I'm using the formulas you posted in #11, without the time stamp. The time stamp was nice to have, but I can do with only the date stamp for now. I just need to make sure I don't lose the date stamp history the next day when I update my worksheet with new entries...

I greatly appreciate all the help awoohaw! Thank you!

Upvote 0
Okay. The approaches although it seems that Date vs DateTime values would be an easy switch this exercise showed me that it is not. So if you do want to convert, you should come back to here for the last set up I posted.

Best wishes!

Upvote 1
I have not reviewed all the posts in this thread.
Since Now is volatile, we cannot use it.

I drafted a Lambda function the may help entering the Date+Time.

I named the function DateTime but you can use your preferred name.
DateTime shows the required parameters, I could add Year as a parameter and then the function will work next year without edit.
You can expand the function if you want.

I show 2 examples below

Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
B2B2=DateTime(5,9,16,22)
B3B3=DateTime(5,9,20,5)

With Name Manager
new DateTime
value =LAMBDA(Day,Month,hour,minute,LET(d,Day,mo,Month,h,hour,m,minute,Text(DATE(2023,mo,d)+TIME(h,m,0),"d-mmm-yy h:mm Am/PM")))

Upvote 0
The function can be expanded to consider multiple actions such as Approved, Not Approved, Reviewed, etc and it could
consider multiple Authorized people.

The formula can reference cells or it can be self-contained.

Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
B16B16=DateTime2(9,5,12,25)
B18B18=Stamp(10,5,10,15)

In Name Manager
DateTime2 =LAMBDA(Day,Month,hour,minute,LET(d,Day,mo,Month,h,hour,m,minute,!$B$4&" by "&!$B$5& " "&TEXT(DATE(2023,mo,d)+TIME(h,m,0),"d-mmm-yy h:mm Am/PM")))

Stamp
=LAMBDA(Day,Month,hour,minute,LET(d,Day,mo,Month,h,hour,m,minute, "Approved by gymwrecker "&TEXT(DATE(2023,mo,d)+TIME(h,m,0),"d-mmm-yy h:mm Am/PM")))

Upvote 0
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
B12B12=Stamp(17,3,15,15)

Minor edit to the new function "Stamp"
=LAMBDA(Day,Month,Hour,Minute,LET(d, Day, mo, Month, h, Hour, m, Minute, "Approved By: gymwrecker " & TEXT(DATE(2023, mo, d) + TIME(h, m, 0), "d-mmm-yy h:mm Am/PM")))

N.B. Next year, you will have to edit the year part 2023 to 2024. It could be a new function say Stamp24

Upvote 1
Dave Patton, the LAMBDA formula is working for me. Following your example on Post #36, B12 =STAMP(17,3,1515), does this means I'd have to edit the formula in B12 when entering data at different dates and times?

Upvote 0
"Following your example on Post #36, B12 =STAMP(17,3,1515)"

Please check your data entry, the quote above is missing a comma. It should be =STAMP(17,3,15,15)

For a different date and time, you enter or edit the formula with the necessary parameters.

Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
B12B12=Stamp(17,3,15,15)
B13B13=Stamp(18,3,15,20)
B14B14=Stamp(10,5,15,20)

Last edited:
Upvote 1
That's what I thought, just wanted to make sure! Thank you!

If I need to expand the function to another action, i.e. Recommend Approval, I would need to create a new LAMBDA and replace "Approved By" with "Recommend Approval", and create a new formula, i.e., =Stamp2, right?

Upvote 0
you can create a new function or

revise the function to allow a variety of actions such as Recommend Approval, Approved, Not Approved

Please try the function and consider carefully what you require and then advise.
see previous comment
The function can be expanded to consider multiple actions such as Approved, Not Approved, Reviewed, etc and it could
consider multiple Authorized people.

The formula can reference cells or it can be self-contained.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nmaske

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back