Date formula that rounds to next day

BMil8

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Hello. I've been asked to create an analysis that calculates the number of days since an order was placed. However, if that order was placed after 2:00pm it should be considered as if it came in the following day. For example, the below to orders came in within a few hours of each other. My current formula for days open would group them both in the "3 day" bucket. However, since that second order came in after 2:00pm (or 14:00:00), I want it to fall into a "2 day" bucket. what's the best approach for this?

Order DateCurrent DateExact Days OpenDays Open
2022-05-20 12:31:162022-05-24 11:19:313 days 22 hrs 48 mins 15 secs3
2022-05-20 14:41:122022-05-24 11:19:313 days 20 hrs 38 mins 19 secs3

Excel Facts

Copy PDF to Excel
Select data in PDF. Paste to Microsoft Word. Copy from Word and paste to Excel.
How are you calculating "Days Open" at the moment ?

This would give you a result of 3 for the first entry, and 2 for the second.
Assumes Order Dates in col A, Current Date in col B -

=INT(B1)-INT(A1)-1-(MOD(A1,1)>(14/24))

Upvote 0

It was just a simple subtraction formula rounded down. Your formula seems to work. What is it doing?

Upvote 0
Your date and time information consists of numbers, for example 20/05/2022 14:41 is held by Excel as the number 44701.611944... where 44701 gives the date, and 0.611944... gives the time.

The INT function converts this value to 44701, and so cuts off the numbers after the decimal point - so giving us the date on its own, and ignoring the time element.

So we then subtract the two dates from each other, and add 1 because your results indicate that's what you want to do.

We then need to work out if the time on the Order was after 14:00 or not.
So the MOD function does something similar here to the INT function, but instead strips off the date information to leave us with just the time.
It then says, is this value greater than 14/24 (24 hours in the day), and if it is, that gives us a TRUE value, which is treated as a 1 value, which is then deducted from the earlier result.

Try using Excel's formula evaluation tool on a couple of different input values, to understand better how this works.

Upvote 0

I think the only extra thing I had to do was account for anything if the result was less than 24 hours. This returns a result of -1 days. So I just added an IF statement in there. Sound right?

Upvote 0
I think the only extra thing I had to do was account for anything if the result was less than 24 hours. This returns a result of -1 days. So I just added an IF statement in there. Sound right?
Can you give us an example of that please ?

Upvote 0
Can you give us an example of that please ?
ORDERDATECurrent DateExact Days OpenDays Open
2022-05-23 17:31:132022-05-24 11:19:310 days 17 hrs 48 mins 18 secs-1

Then if I change the formula to =IF(INT(B1)-INT(A1)-1-(MOD(A1,1)>(14/24))=-1,0,INT(B1)-INT(A1)-1-(MOD(A1,1)>(14/24))), it shows me 0 days.

Upvote 0
Hi - if that gives you the results you want, then fine, go with that, although it looks a bit clunky.
You might be able to simplify it a bit.
But it looks like the rule set that you are trying to apply here is perhaps a little more complicated than it first appears, so I wouldn't like to be certain at this stage.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erald

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back