DAX distinct list of TOPN values

dicken

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi,
I want to concatenate the items in a TOPN table column, and this is fine, but I sometimes have duplicate items,
so if I wanted the top 3 days in a month by date, these might all be Saturday, which gives me a concat of Sat Sat Sat , and ideally I'd just
like to see it once, This is just mock up example so

Excel Formula:
Top3C:=VAR tops =  TOPN(3,
                  SUMMARIZE(Table1,Table1[Country],Table1[Product]),[Total],DESC) 
                                RETURN CONCATENATEX(tops, Table1[Country],",")

So what I'm looking for is something like ;
Excel Formula:
CONCATENATEX(  VALUES( tops[Column] ) , Column, ",")

Richard.

Excel Facts

Best way to learn Power Query?
Read M is for (Data) Monkey book by Ken Puls and Miguel Escobar. It is the complete guide to Power Query.
Why do you have products in the summarize table? This could definitely increase the chance of the country being repeated. Ie USA, Bikes, then USA Clothing are number 1 and 2, but you are only extracting the country. I’m guessing, but you could wrap another summarize around “tops” and extract just the country, then wrap that with a distinct, then do the concatenate.

Upvote 0
Solution
Why do you have products in the summarize table? This could definitely increase the chance of the country being repeated. Ie USA, Bikes, then USA Clothing are number 1 and 2, but you are only extracting the country. I’m guessing, but you could wrap another summarize around “tops” and extract just the country, then wrap that with a distinct, then do the concatenate.
Because that is what I want to summarize by, the country is only there so I can then concatenate the top country for each product.
My original scenario was more like this ; I created a summarized table of sales by sales ID and day of week,
so I had the top 3 sales by sales ID, I then wanted the day name those sales were made on, but if the they were all
made on say Saturday, I only need to see that once not repeated 3 times.

Excel Formula:
Topday by Index:=VAR tops = TOPN( 3, SUMMARIZE(Table1,Table1[Index],'Calendar'[Day Of Week]),[TotalUnits],DESC)
RETURN CONCATENATEX( tops, 'Calendar'[Day Of Week], ", " )

This is then dropped into a pivot of Year Month Grouping and does show what I want , the top 3 days in a month,
but as said I only need to see each distinct day, if top 3 days were Sat 1st , 8th and 15th, I just need Saturday once.
I'll try another summarize around the topn table as i have not tried that yet,

Richard.

Upvote 0
Just to let you know the double summarize worked, I still haven't grasped why but here it is;

Excel Formula:
Distinct top day:=VAR tops = TOPN( 3, SUMMARIZE(Table1,Table1[Index],'Calendar'[Day Of Week]) ,[TotalUnits],DESC) 

VAR sumt  = SUMMARIZE( tops, 'Calendar'[Day Of Week]) 

RETURN CONCATENATEX(sumt, 'Calendar'[Day Of Week],",  ")

So now instead of say Sat, Sat, Sun, I just have Sat, Sun.

Thanks for the help.

Richard.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ArturS75

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back