bradshk

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
  2. MacOS
  3. Web
Hi All,

Im working on a spreadsheet to use on RoundRobin Pool Tournaments. I found a VBA script on here that does mostly what I need but Im having a problem with the input list. It needs a list of names for the random generator VBA script. When the list of names are an EVEN number the scripts runs fine and creates the random pairs. When it's an Odd number of names it has issues and does not create the pairs. Full disclosure, Im not anywhere near a VBA expert so Im just working my way thru it. In order to work with the existing script, I need to determine if the number of players in the list (Column A) is and odd number. If Yes it's an Odd number, then I need to automatically enter "Bye" into the next cell to make it an even number of pairs (one player pairs up with Bye will sit out that round). The list of names is dynamic as the tournament progresses and players drop out. Any thoughts on how I can do this with formulas on Column B? If I need to use A VBA script I can go that route but thought formulas woudl be easier for me to maintain. Thanks for any input.

1679943719760.png

Excel Facts

Save Often
If you start asking yourself if now is a good time to save your Excel workbook, the answer is Yes
Have you had a look at the ISODD and ISEVEN functions?

Upvote 0
Why do players drop out in a round robin? Just each player plays every other player isnt it? We would need to know where the player list is housed.

Upvote 0
Why do players drop out in a round robin? Just each player plays every other player isnt it? We would need to know where the player list is housed.
The players are given a number of allowed losses for the tournament based on their skill level. It's a handicap system. So in any given round a player or more can drop out. The player list in the screenshot example is Row A (Nine players) which is dynamic based on the user still having a number of losses greater than Zero.

Upvote 0
So to write a formula we would need to know how the player list is setup and the rules of why you use a player or dont. Presume your player list is already randomised based on your provided formulas. Basically we need to be able to count the number of eligible players and then if odd make the last 'player' bye.

Upvote 0
The players are given a number of allowed losses for the tournament based on their skill level. It's a handicap system. So in any given round a player or more can drop out. The player list in the screenshot example is Row A (Nine players) which is dynamic based on the user still having a number of losses greater than Zero.
Correction,
Row B (Nine players)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peppernaut

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back