Different source file formats

adambc

Office Version
  1. 2019
  2. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
I have a combination of VBA and M code to select a source file and pass the FilePath/FileName to Power Query but …

Sometimes the source file I’m given is CSV format, other times it’s XLSX format (don’t ask!) …

Is there some M code that can do an if/then/else based on the source file extension that will tell PQ what type of source file to expect?

Thanks …

Excel Facts

Which came first: VisiCalc or Lotus 1-2-3?
Dan Bricklin and Bob Frankston debuted VisiCalc in 1979 as a Visible Calculator. Lotus 1-2-3 debuted in the early 1980's, from Mitch Kapor.
It depends how you want to do it. You can look at

try query otherwise query2
@Matt Allington

I could do that in the VBA, but I would need to maintain two queries ...

I was hoping that I could do something like this (FilePath, FileName & FileType are named cells in my Workbook - FilePath & FileName work perfectly) ...

Power Query:
let
   FilePath = Excel.CurrentWorkbook(){[Name="FilePath"]}[Content]{0}[Column1],
    FileName = Excel.CurrentWorkbook(){[Name="FileName"]}[Content]{0}[Column1],
    FilePathName = FilePath & FileName,
    FileType = Excel.CurrentWorkbook(){[Name="FileType"]}[Content]{0}[Column1],
    // THIS IS WHAT I'D LIKE TO DO, BUT IT DOESN'T WORK AS IS!!!
    // START
    If FileType = "csv" then
    Source = Csv.Document(Web.Contents(FilePathName),[Delimiter=",", Columns=20, Encoding=1252, QuoteStyle=QuoteStyle.None]),
    #"Promoted Headers" = Table.PromoteHeaders(Source, [PromoteAllScalars=true]),
    else
    Source = Excel.Workbook(Web.Contents(FilePathName), null, true),
    SourceTable = Table.SelectRows(Source, each [Kind] = "Sheet"){0}[Data],
    #"Promoted Headers" = Table.PromoteHeaders(SourceTable, [PromoteAllScalars=true]),
    // END
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Promoted Headers",{{Table.ColumnNames(#"Promoted Headers"){0}, type date}, {Table.ColumnNames(#"Promoted Headers"){1}, type text}, {Table.ColumnNames(#"Promoted Headers"){2}, type text}, {Table.ColumnNames(#"Promoted Headers"){3}, type text}, {Table.ColumnNames(#"Promoted Headers"){4}, type text}, {Table.ColumnNames(#"Promoted Headers"){5}, type text}, {Table.ColumnNames(#"Promoted Headers"){6}, type text}, {Table.ColumnNames(#"Promoted Headers"){7}, type text}, {Table.ColumnNames(#"Promoted Headers"){8}, type text}, {Table.ColumnNames(#"Promoted Headers"){9}, type date}, {Table.ColumnNames(#"Promoted Headers"){10}, type text}, {Table.ColumnNames(#"Promoted Headers"){11}, type text}, {Table.ColumnNames(#"Promoted Headers"){12}, Int64.Type}, {Table.ColumnNames(#"Promoted Headers"){13}, type text}, {Table.ColumnNames(#"Promoted Headers"){14}, type text}, {Table.ColumnNames(#"Promoted Headers"){15}, type text}, {Table.ColumnNames(#"Promoted Headers"){16}, type text}, {Table.ColumnNames(#"Promoted Headers"){17}, type date}, {Table.ColumnNames(#"Promoted Headers"){18}, Int64.Type}, {Table.ColumnNames(#"Promoted Headers"){19}, type text}})
in
    #"Changed Type"

Or am I hoping for too much?

Upvote 0
I couldn't say if the above approach can work without seeing the errors. I don't see any issue in having 2 staging queries, one for each file type as I described earlier. If you want to pursue the above if/then approach for learning reasons, then fair enough, but you will have to focus on the error messages rather than simply "it doesn't work at all"

Upvote 0
I couldn't say if the above approach can work without seeing the errors. I don't see any issue in having 2 staging queries, one for each file type as I described earlier. If you want to pursue the above if/then approach for learning reasons, then fair enough, but you will have to focus on the error messages rather than simply "it doesn't work at all"
@Matt Allington

I really don't want 2 queries that are essentially the same other than the source type!

I will explore why my pseudo IF/THEN/ELSE above code doesn't work when I have some time, but for now, I've implemented my query for .xlsx extracts which I've also mandated (and just in case I'm still sent a .csv extract, I've written some VBA code to detect the file type and if it's .csv, Open the file and perform a Save As .xlsx)

Upvote 0
Solution
I can't see why that can't work. I think the issue you will find is that the if/then must work for both possible outcomes. If one is an error, it will fail. I could be wrong. that is why try/otherwise may be a better option

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COrmerod

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back