Drop-down arrow not visible unless cell selected Excel 365

metsmaniac

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
The subject line pretty much says it. I have a drop-down list in Excel. Unless the cell is selected, the drop-down arrow is not visible.

I tried this site. My "in-cell dropdown" option is already checked.

Excel Facts

Convert text numbers to real numbers
Select a column containing text numbers. Press Alt+D E F to quickly convert text to numbers. Faster than "Convert to Number"
I suggest that you update your Account details (or click your user name at the top right of the forum) so helpers always know what Excel version(s) & platform(s) you are using as the best solution often varies by version. (Don’t forget to scroll down & ‘Save’)

Unless the cell is selected, the drop-down arrow is not visible.
That's just how data validation works & AFAIK there is no way of changing it.

Upvote 0
The subject line pretty much says it. I have a drop-down list in Excel. Unless the cell is selected, the drop-down arrow is not visible.
I believe that is the default behavior of how Data Validation works. It only shows the arrow when you select the cell. It does not show it if it is not the active cell.
I do not recall ever seeing it behave any differently.

I tried this site. My "in-cell dropdown" option is already checked.
That just affects the behavior when you have selected that cell. If you uncheck it, it does not show the arrow at all, even when it is the active cell.

To do what you want may require you to use Form Controls or ActiveX Controls instead of Data Validation.
That may require a bit of VBA attached to it to populate the values and write the selections to the correct cells.

Upvote 0
I believe that is the default behavior of how Data Validation works. It only shows the arrow when you select the cell. It does not show it if it is not the active cell.
I do not recall ever seeing it behave any differently.

That just affects the behavior when you have selected that cell. If you uncheck it, it does not show the arrow at all, even when it is the active cell.

To do what you want may require you to use Form Controls or ActiveX Controls instead of Data Validation.
That may require a bit of VBA attached to it to populate the values and write the selections to the correct cells.
Understood. It works just like the validation comments that pop up. Thanks.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
teemeren

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back