Drop Dynamic Lowest Grade(s)

tsroque

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Is there a way to state how many grades I want dropped? Building a spreadsheet to track my grades and each professor drops different quantities (or none) of grades. I have this formula but it assumes I know how many each time. I would like to share the spreadsheet with the assumption that user doesn't know how to use Excel like I do.

=SUM(B2:H2)-SMALL(B2:H2,1)-SMALL(B2:H2,2)

Thank you!!!
:)

Excel Facts

Format cells as currency
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+4 to format cells as currency. (Shift 4 is the $ sign).
If you have an input cell, called 'drop_score', it might be small( range, sequence(drop_score) ).
If you are on 365?
I could not detect it from your profile (it does not show up on the cell phone app?)

Upvote 0
If you have an input cell, called 'drop_score', it might be small( range, sequence(drop_score) ).
If you are on 365?
I could not detect it from your profile (it does not show up on the cell phone app?)
Hi!
I used =sum(range)-small(range, 1 * (drop_score)) and it subtracts only the lowest score and not 2 or 3 or 4...whatever number I have in drop_score. Did I type it incorrectly? 🙄

Upvote 0
What version of Excel are you using?

I suggest that you update your Account details (or click your user name at the top right of the forum) so helpers always know what Excel version(s) & platform(s) you are using as the best solution often varies by version. (Don’t forget to scroll down & ‘Save’)

Upvote 0
Hi!
I used =sum(range)-small(range, 1 * (drop_score)) and it subtracts only the lowest score and not 2 or 3 or 4...whatever number I have in drop_score. Did I type it incorrectly? 🙄
Not exactly what I meant. First two options are possible if you are on 365. Second one works even if scores to drop is zero. The first one will yield an error. This can be fixed with iferror. The third one should work on older versions (2010 and later).
Book1
ABCDEFGHIJKLMN
1Grade 1Grade 2Grade 3Grade 4Grade 5Grade 6Grade 7Total (without Dropped Scores)Drop Bottom Scores3
Sheet1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
I2I2=SUM(B2:H3)-SUM(SMALL(B2:H2,SEQUENCE(Drop_Bottom_Scores)))
I3I3=SUM(LARGE(B2:H2,SEQUENCE((COUNTA(B2:H2)-Drop_Bottom_Scores))))
I4I4=SUMPRODUCT((B2:H2)*((RANK.EQ(B2:H2,B2:H2,1)>Drop_Bottom_Scores)*1))
Named Ranges
NameRefers ToCells
Drop_Bottom_Scores=Sheet1!$M$1I2:I4

Upvote 0
I was going for the 3rd option since I'm making this under the assumption it could be shared to someone with an older version. #2 works great but #3 sums up to ZERO if all the remaining grades are the same.

Thank you!!!

Upvote 0
but #3 sums up to ZERO if all the remaining grades are the same.
Oups, indeed did not anticipate that scenario.
Maybe in this case the legacy rank would work. Did not test it.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Miahr

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back