Entering Event Times for a HS Competition

RAF43

Board Regular
Hello Everyone - Over the last few years I've been using a spreadsheet to enter event times for a HS competition. I have specific cells formatted as mm:ss.000 to give me minutes, seconds and tenths (basically stop watch times). The challenge is there are approximately 350 of these time entries to make in a relative short duration to determine the winners. Having to enter times in a mm:ss.000 format QUICKLY lends itself to errors (and a lot of frustration). For example if you enter mm;ss.000, excel will not recognize the entry as a valid time and not add it up properly, thus skewing the competition results. Working quickly it's really easy to make a mistake like that let alone catch that type of entry as having been entered wrong.

So is there a better approach that would be faster, more efficient with errors much less likely ? For example can I enter the "mm" in a cell then the "ss" in a cell then the "000" in a cell and have then all transferred to a master cell while maintaining the mm:ss.000 format automatically ? Other ideas ..... thank you in advance for all the talent and willingness to share on this board - simply amazing.

Score Sheet.JPG

Excel Facts

How to change case of text in Excel?
Use =UPPER() for upper case, =LOWER() for lower case, and =PROPER() for proper case. PROPER won't capitalize second c in Mccartney
Hello,

If you do stick to a very strict discipline when entering your event times ... an Event macro could remove all your uncertainties about your format

Hope this will help

Upvote 0
Hi James,

Can you please expand on how you would apply a macro to enter event times, thus removing uncertainties about the format. I'm hitting a mental block and can't visualize what you are recommending. Sorry

Thanks for the reply !
Randy

Upvote 0
You could do something like

Book1
CDEF
2111012311:10.123
oas_web
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
F2F2=((D2+E2/1000)/60+C2)/1440

Upvote 0
Wow .... now that's innovative, simple and straightforward - works great. Thank you !!

This board is the best resource for solving excel issues period - none better.

Thank you again - any other ideas please share / let me know.
Randy.

Upvote 0
My pleasure & thanks for the feedback

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kshealy

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back