error: "Some trend lines cannot be calculated from data containing negative or zero values"

ginahoy

I've been using Excel 2002 (Excel XP) for years and suddenly, within the past several months, I started getting this error error message, seemingly at random...

"Some trend lines cannot be calculated from data containing negative or zero values"

I just click "OK" and move on, thinking there must be an error in my chart cell reference. But I just got this error in a workbook that has no charts or graphs, so obviously there's no trend line. In fact, it's just a single worksheet with a couple of dozen lines with formulas.

A Google search of this error only turned up a couple of hits, neither relevant, so I'm guessing no one here will be familiar with this error, at least not in the absence of a chart or graph with trendline.

Since the error started recently, and occurred in a file with no trendline, I'm wondering if there's a startup setting file (like normal.dot in WORD) that may be corrupted. Poking around, I found these files in the Application Data / Microsoft / Excel folder: excel10.xlb, and personal.xls.

Will Excel rebuild either of these if I delete, and if so, would this lose all my startup options and macros?

Excel Facts

Quick Sum
Select a range of cells. The total appears in bottom right of Excel screen. Right-click total to add Max, Min, Count, Average.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jcschafer209

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back