Error when trying to run code to edit links

Lochagos

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi all, I've been struggling with editing the links contained in the cells of my excel sheet using VBA code. I currently have a large sheet with numerous cells, all containing links for data in another excel file. The sheet has been copied from a version from previous months, and as such I need to find and replace the months(and the year if needed) of every link so that it is the month before(i.e if it is currently April, the month in the links should be changed to March).

This is the code I'm currently using:

VBA Code:
Sub test4()

Dim a, b, x, y, z As Variant
    With ActiveSheet
        .Unprotect Password:="" '<-- if any
        y = Date - Day(Date)
        z = DateSerial(Year(Date), Month(Date) - 1, 0)
        x = DateSerial(Year(Date), Month(Date) - 2, 0)

ThisWorkbook.ChangeLink "C:\Users\username\ABC International\(ABCD-FIN)-OJV-efile - Classification " & _
        "Type\Country\B1 group\Monthly financials reporting\" & Format$(x, "yyyy") & "\" & Format$(x, "yyyymm") & "\From Terminal\" & _
        "Monthly Report - " & Format$(x, "yyyy") & "(3rd Day)_group_" & Format$(y, "mmm") & ".xlsx", _
        "C:\Users\username\ABC International\(ABCD-FIN)-OJV-efile - Classification " & _
        "Type\Country\B1 group\Monthly financials reporting\" & Format$(z, "yyyy") & "\" & Format$(z, "yyyymm") & "\From Terminal\" & _
        "Monthly Report - " & Format$(z, "yyyy") & "(3rd Day)_group_" & Format$(y, "mmm") & ".xlsx"

End With
End Sub

However when I try to run this code, it gives me a 'Run-time error '1004 Method ChangeLink of object '_Workbook failed'

Can anyone help with what's wrong with my link to cause this error to show up?

Excel Facts

Create a Pivot Table on a Map
If your data has zip codes, postal codes, or city names, select the data and use Insert, 3D Map. (Found to right of chart icons).
Hi, All the replacement files name and location path are same? just different date/time frame?

If yes, Would you mid to provide us two files name here with two different dates/time frames?

Upvote 0
Book1
LMNO
1LinkNew link
2E:\New folder\VBA LEARNING.xlsmE:\New folder\VBA LEARNING 2023.xlsm
11xx
Sheet1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
L11L11='E:\New folder\[VBA LEARNING 2023.xlsm]FIND ADDRESS'!$R$8

Optional for your reference,

I will link out activeworkbook linksources in N2, After listed out, I will manually put new link in O2

Then re-run the code to get the updated link

VBA Code:
Sub test4()

ls = ActiveWorkbook.LinkSources
[n2].Resize(UBound(ls, 1)) = ls

For Each ss In Range("o2:o" & Cells(Rows.Count, "O").End(xlUp).Row + 1)
If ss.Value <> "" Then ThisWorkbook.ChangeLink ss.Offset(0, -1).Value, ss.Value
Next ss

[o2:o100].Clear
End Sub

Last edited:
Upvote 0
VBA Code:
Sub test4()

Next ss

End Sub

New link can make it dynamic but depending your link name, so it would be good if you can provide us two link names

Upvote 0
VBA Code:
Sub test4()

Next ss

End Sub

New link can make it dynamic but depending your link name, so it would be good if you can provide us two link names
Hi, sorry for the late reply. Here is an example link that hopefully should be clearer: ='C:\Users\username\ABC International\(ABCD-FIN)-OJV-efile - Classification Type\Country\B1 group\Monthly financials reporting\2023\202302\From Terminal\[Monthly Report - 2023(3rd Day)_group_Feb.xlsx]PL Old_detail'!AS14

The sections that I've bolded are the areas that I want to be able to change and update with my code, namely the months and year. The original links would be for two months prior,(i.e if the current month is June, then the month in the links would be April), and I want to change it so that the months in the links are for the previous month instead(i.e. if the current month is June, then the month in the links would become May instead). The year should also be updated if there is a change.

Upvote 0
=
Book2
HIJKLMNOP
1Current LinkChange Desire link F5 Code2
2E:\ABC International\(ABCD-FIN)-OJV-efile - Classification Type\Country\B1 group\Monthly financials reporting\2023\202302\From Terminal\Monthly Report - 2023(3rd Day)_group_Feb.xlsxE:\ABC International\(ABCD-FIN)-OJV-efile - Classification Type\Country\B1 group\Monthly financials reporting\2023\202302\From Terminal\Monthly Report - 2023(3rd Day)_group_Feb.xlsx
Sheet1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
O2O2=LET( Yr,YEAR(TODAY()), num,MONTH(TODAY())-P1, MonthValue,MONTH(EOMONTH(TODAY(),-num)), Monthxlsx,TEXT(EOMONTH(TODAY(),-num),"mmm")&".xlsx", yearwithmth,Yr&"0"&MonthValue, "E:\ABC International\(ABCD-FIN)-OJV-efile - Classification Type\Country\B1 group\Monthly financials reporting\"&Yr&"\"&yearwithmth&"\From Terminal\Monthly Report - "&Yr&"(3rd Day)_group_"&Monthxlsx)
H5H5='[Monthly Report - 2023(3rd Day)_group_Feb.xlsx]PL Old_detail'!$AS$14

Hi, Kindly give a try, You may run the code then input the month that you desire to change( for example this is month is june then you just put 5 in the input box).

Still can shorten the code but maybe can try 1st if can run in your site (before running the code make sure to put the let formula in o2 or desire column which's adjustable)

VBA Code:
Sub test4()

mont = Application.InputBox("Month:")

[p1].Value = mont

Next ss

End Sub

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anshu121

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back