Excel 2007 web query stopped returning data from certain websites

jessmith98

I am running Excel 2007 on Windows 7. I have a spreadsheet that gets info from my fantasy baseball league website daily. All of a sudden, some of the pages are not returning data anymore when I web query from my laptop. I can successfully run a web query from other computers also running excel 2007, but not my laptop. One of the pages that doesn't work is:

Standings | Fantasy Baseball | Yahoo Sports

Most other pages within my fantasy baseball website do work when I web query them from my laptop. Not the the "standings" page though which used to work but just last week stopped working. It appears that table #2 is the part that is returning no data. The rest of the tables from the page do work when I web query them.

This is very strange. I tried duplicating all the settings in excel with the settings on my other computer that can successfully web query the "standings" page. That didn't work. I tried reverting Internet Explorer from version 11 down to v10. That didn't work. I have duplicated the IE settings on my laptop with those on my other working computer. That didn't work either. Any help would be appreciated.

Excel Facts

Can a formula spear through sheets?
Use =SUM(January:December!E7) to sum E7 on all of the sheets from January through December
I saw the other week yahoo and aol are changing access services, might be linked to changed security or updated web pages

Upvote 0
I have been experiencing a similar problem with Yahoo Finance. Last Thursday (8/14/14) an Excel web query to Yahoo Finance just stopped working. I had just received a suite of Windows updates the night before and suspected one of these might be the culprit. However, after reviewing them all and uninstalling those that I thought might be responsible, the problem persisted--and I re-installed the Windows updates. Then yesterday (Monday, 8/18/14), my web query just started working again--until late afternoon when it stopped again. I have other Excel web queries that access other websites that continue to work fine. Therefore, I now suspect something has changed with the Yahoo website, but it's not visible to me and this on/off behavior is very puzzling and frustrating. I've yet to find a workaround and wondered if you have for your situation. BTW, I'm running Excel 2010 on Windows 7 Professional 64-bit.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abdahsankhan

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back