Excel 365 Performance

Ziggy

Hi,

I've been using Excel 365, I recently had an issue where I started having an issue where in any Excel file ( a new one for example), if I type in a cell and hit Enter, it could take about 1-3 seconds to move to the next cell. There is no formula.

I have a new system with I7 @ 16 GB RAM

Resources seem fine... so I started looking at all my excel files. I noticed that 365 uses significantly more resources than Excel 2016... yest my system still has the power, so ultimately I traced it to 1 Excel file which caused the issue of lag whenever it was opened.

This Excel file was only 3MB, but has hundreds of formulas but no External links... so it seems that this file even if I don't edit it seems to get linked to calculation logic ( Auto Save is off).... does this make sense? I don't understand why it affects other Excel files. I do have automatic Calculation ON, but again that should not need to recalculate if another file which is not linked in any way is worked on? The file with the formulas is on One Drive, but as I said I only opened it... so the other odd thing is with the 2 files open, if I type in the NEW book and watch the file with the formulas I see a cell flash with the calculation on 1 cell.. that is sooo odd.... there is absolutely no link!!!

Excel Facts

Is there a shortcut key for strikethrough?
Ctrl+S is used for Save. Ctrl+5 is used for Strikethrough. Why Ctrl+5? When you use hashmarks to count |||| is 4, strike through to mean 5.
Yes but if bookb still has volatile functions, that is what will happen.

Upvote 0
Sounds like you might still have some volatile functions in bookb
No because as I said BOOKA alters something in BOOKB based on a change I make in BOOKA ... and I did it multiple times and even additional NEW workbooks.... really makes no sense to me. I can't share this file or I would, but I can try to make a screen recording.

Upvote 0
Yes but if bookb still has volatile functions, that is what will happen.
then why does it NOT happen if I simply open it and do nothing to BOOKA... you have to look at how I did my TESTs... I can open this file ( BOOKB) 10 times and it will not ask me to save, the second I type something in BOOKA, then all of a sudden BOOKB wants to SAVE.

Upvote 0
As I said if you change any cell in any open workbook ALL volatile functions will recalculate, therefore asking you to save.

Upvote 0
wow file is blowing my mind. Its a monster created by someone else. I should have realized there were hidden sheets the FIND function would not search... so I removed and in some cases just deleted the sheet.

Now another Curiosity popped up where it is telling me there is a new version of the tool:

1706901569256.png

I did check all the sheets and VBA and I do not see any procedures or any code, I know VBA but I am not aware of how this book knows there is a new version,... ughh... anyways I clicked REOPEN and nothing happened other than it reopened it... then tested a few more times and it now does not have the issue so all the Volitile functions are gone...

thanks for your patience and sticking to your point.

Upvote 0
Glad it's sorted & thanks for letting us know.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nmaske

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back