Excel Date Query/Confirmation

Arts

Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi all

I have a list of due dates and actual end dates as listed below, I have been told that if the actual end date is within two weeks of the due date then this can be seen as "within time". The Due Date is attained from a report and is sometimes blank so I have used the formula =IF(ISBLANK(Sheet2!F3),"",Sheet2!F3)

I was going to add 14 days to the Due date to compensate for the allowance so my edited formula would be =IF(ISBLANK(Sheet2!F3),"",Sheet2!F3+14) . My question is do I just add 14 to the Due Date?

Reason I ask is that researching online I saw that I need to use the DATE function but adding 14 seems to do the trick. Just want to confirm that by adding 14 this wont come back to me bite me somehow in the future and is the correct method or should I/do I need to use =IF(ISBLANK(Sheet2!F3),"",DATE(YEAR(Sheet2!F3),MONTH(Sheet2!F3),DAY(Sheet2!F3+14)))

Over research here has confused me!

Due DateActual End date
30/08/23​
11/05/23​
30/06/22​
21/04/22​
31/03/23​
20/03/23​
31/03/23​
20/03/23​
31/03/23​
20/03/23​
31/05/23​
22/05/23​

Thanks all for your help as always

Excel Facts

How to find 2nd largest value in a column?
MAX finds the largest value. =LARGE(A:A,2) will find the second largest. =SMALL(A:A,3) will find the third smallest
Yes, if you have a valid date, just adding 14 will add 14 days to it.

The key is understanding how Excel stores dates. It actually stores them as numbers, specifically the number of days since January 0, 1900.
So dates are really just numbers in Excel with date formats applied to them. Time is a fractional component of one day.

So since Excel stores dates as the number of days from a set starting point, adding a whole number will add that many days to your date.

Upvote 0
Solution
Yes, if you have a valid date, just adding 14 will add 14 days to it.

The key is understanding how Excel stores dates. It actually stores them as numbers, specifically the number of days since January 0, 1900.
So dates are really just numbers in Excel with date formats applied to them. Time is a fractional component of one day.

So since Excel stores dates as the number of days from a set starting point, adding a whole number will add that many days to your date.

Thanks for confirming Joe!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Doanvanhieu

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back