Excel in Production

Coop

I work at a large bank and became aware of a policy that prohibits the use of excel in "production". I have built some larger worksheets with macros and this recently became a concern of our IT department. I am scheduled to meet with this area in the near future. I was wondering if there was anyone out there has heard of this kind of policy and what it specifically means. The worksheet in question is basically a large-scaled cash flow/forecasting tool. Thank you.

Excel Facts

What is the last column in Excel?
Excel columns run from A to Z, AA to AZ, AAA to XFD. The last column is XFD.
Talk about reducing productivity and increasing wasted time - especially in your field!
I've never heard of this prohibition, but if they're worried about people running unknown macros - they could approve and sign each one and allow only those to run. Would put a small kink in your productivity speed, but only occasionally....

Upvote 0
Usually there are the following aspects that gets the IT-department attention:

Co-workers develop solutions in Excel where macros are in use or co-workers develop solutions in Excel that have not been approved by the IT-department.

Nowadays companies are very sensitive to security and quality and both scenarios above may be interfearing with the present policy.

I wouldn´t worry too much about. If necessary give them an apologise and promise never to do it again ;)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
teemeren

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back