Excel Multiple Statement Generation from Outside Source Spreadsheet

Pettie

Hey all!

The Situation:
I am using Excel 2013 (on Windows 10) and I have a simple spreadsheet which lists names and amount payable plus some sundry columns, lets call it the Distribution spreadsheet.
I also have a separate spreadsheet as my Statement template which displays the data from the Distribution spreadsheet.

I have set up the Statement template already through VLOOKUP to automatically insert the client's address, method of payment etc. all based upon the cell containing "Client Name", and that's working basically fine.

The Idea:
I would like the Statement to populate itself based upon the contents of the Distribution spreadsheet.

So basically:
- Distribution spreadsheet has 2 clients on it this time.
- Statement spreadsheet should go to the Distribution spreadsheet and look at cell A2 to get the Client Name, then cells F2, G2 & H2 to gather the various figures, then I2 to get the date.
- Statement spreadsheet should then populate itself with A2 (which inserts the name, address etc. as stated above) as well as F2, G2 & H2 (the figures) and lastly I2.
- Then it saves this with a preset filename which is taken from values in the Statement spreadsheet (see example below)
- Then it repeats this process until it has no more names on the original Distribution spreadsheet.

Summary & Example:

ABCDEFGHI
NameCountryNative CurrencyGBPBank Charge100%RetainedPayableDate Out
Joe BloggsUSA$500£410£10£400£40£36030th January 2017
Jimmy LennonUSA$300£205£5£200£20£18030th January 2017

<tbody>
</tbody>

So in this example, two statements should be generated, and they should have the filename of: "2017 1 (30th January) - Joe Bloggs £360.00.pdf" & "2017 1 (30th January) - Jimmy Lennon £180.00.pdf". In code form this would be "{YEAR} {MONTH}({DAY & MONTH}) - {NAME} £{PAYABLE}.pdf".

I can break this problem down into two parts:
1) The statement generation from the source (Distribution) spreadsheet.
2) Saving the Statement as a .pdf with the correct filename for each client.

1) I imagine this will be utilising VLOOKUP a lot to reference the Distribution spreadsheet's contents, presumably based around the Client's Name.
2) I imagine this will have to be done through a Macro assigned to a button on the spreadsheet.

Any help on any parts of the above will be greatly appreciated. I've been tearing my hair out trying to break this down into smaller, manageable parts but can't seem to be able to figure out the logic on this bit.

Thanks everyone!

Your friend,
Joe

Excel Facts

What does custom number format of ;;; mean?
Three semi-colons will hide the value in the cell. Although most people use white font instead.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JayEggleton

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back