Excel not recognising €0.00 as the value 0.

CmTaz

Hi everyone - first time poster here and as probably most posts here are I am looking for help.

Excel does not recognise €0.00 as the value 0. I need this for the following. Basicaly I have created a loan amortisation sheet breaking down each monthly payment into repayment amount / principal / interest etc etc. I am using the PMT formula to calculate each monthly payment as it goes with each payment having it's own row of information.

=-PMT(D11/12,$I$4*12-A10,C11)
D11 being a cell referencing the interest rate / 12 to make monthly.
$I$4*12-A10 is calulating the payments left I4 is the original loan term less the the number of payments made A10 to give how many are left ) and C11 is the balance left on the loan.

I hope this is easy enough to follow :)
It works a dream when I create exactly enough rows for the amount of payments. My problem occurs when I change the original loan term in I4. I would like to be able to change the loan term and have the appropriate rows of calculations disappear / go blank when not needed. ie if I change it from a 35 year term to a 30 year one that the last 60 rows of calculations disappear. I set it not to view 0 but I can't get ithe unneeded cells to actually return 0 at all. If I decrease this term I get a #Div/0! error across the formulas for the time period past the new lesser loan time. I am assuming this is within the PMT formula when the principle is at 0 as the loan has been paid off.

I tried to find a function that would check wether or not a value was at 0 elsewhere and if so to return 0 itself but if the value elsewhere was not at 0 to include that figure within a function of the original cell.

I tried to use the IF function and insert the pmt function within it. ie to see if C11 was equal to 0 and if it was to return 0 as a value for the function but if it did not equal 0 to calculate the original PMT function. =-PMT(D11/12,$I$4*12-A10,C11). but I cannot make the PMT functtion work within one of the IF true or false options.

Furthermore it also appears that even in a simple IF function excel does not recognise €0.00 as 0. eg if I put in =IF(A!=0,"yes","no") and A1 contains €0.00 it gives the value of no. If I put it as =IF(A!=€0.00,"yes","no") it is invalid and finally for =IF(A!="€0.00","yes","no") it again shows no.

I am looking for any way to either get excel to recognise a zero in currency to be the same as 0 or to get a PMT function active within IF ( preferably both as I suspect I need both of these at the same time to do this for me )

I really hope that you can follow the above - it makes more sense in your own mind than when you try to explain it.

Many thanks in advance for any advice.

Excel Facts

Excel motto
Not everything I do at work revolves around Excel. Only the fun parts.
Is €0.00 text or a formatted value?

Upvote 0
Double check that it is not just rounded to 0 (one way is to select the A1 in the IF statement and press F9). The formula may calculate it as €0.004, which would *display* as €0.00, but would actually house a €0.004. In that case, =IF(A1=€0.00... will return FALSE, even though you'd expect it to be TRUE by what's displayed.

Upvote 0
Seems that is showing 0.00 but is calculated something close to -0.00000000000000001 I have amended the forumulas to range between 0 and above and it is working fine.

Thanks a million for the help

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sameri

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back