Excel - pivot table does not group dates

nanka

Hi Everyone,

I have been struggling to group the dates in a pivot table to get the month and year hierarchy in addition the days. I would really appreciate if you could help me. I tried almost everything...

Here is how I get my data.
1. My Raw Data is a table that is refreshable thru embedded SQL script that has a column with dates - let's say it's column A.
2. This column A that is populated from SQL has dates in the format 01/20/2016 and also has blanks. I am doing few steps thru formulas to create another column - column B. As i need to return the Sunday of that specific date - for example if the date is saying 9/20/2016 - column B will return 09/18/2016.
Bascially Column B has the dates equal to the dates in column A, and whatever is blank in column A is #N/A in column B.
3. I am creating column C to grab the dates from column B in a following way: Column C=IFERROR(COLUMN B,"01/01/2018"). So whatever in #N/A in column B I am saying let it be equal to "01/01/2018".
4. I am creating a pivot table from this raw data table and dragging the column C as it's mu date column. Then I want to group these dates into months and years as well. However I am either getting the error "Cannot group this selection" or if it is grouping it is creating another column called Group 1 which is not what i am looking for, don't know if it can be converted to months or years?
on the home tab there is a [Group Selection] section which is greyed out. I think if it is not greyed out it will be able to give me the option of choosing month and year hierarchy.
I checked column c ( my date column) there are no blanks - the format it 1/2/2016, don't know why it's not grouping.
I tried [Text to Columns] within pivot table , got an error. I tried [Text to Columns] in the raw data table it is converting columnn C into it its actual formauls: Iferror...

Can anyone help me with this? I have already used so much time searching and still nothing helps.

Thanks in Advance,
Nanka

Give this formula a try. Assumption is that your date column you are currently using is in Column C and the below formula is copied into column D. It will convert the column C values into date. Now try Pivoting using column D as your date

Code:
=IFERROR(DATE(RIGHT(C1,4),LEFT(C1,FIND("/",C1)-1),MID(C1,FIND("/",C1)+1,FIND("/",C1,4)-FIND("/",C1)-1)),C1)

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Easy bullets in Excel
If you have a numeric keypad, press Alt+7 on numeric keypad to type a bullet in Excel.
Give this formula a try. Assumption is that your date column you are currently using is in Column C and the below formula is copied into column D. It will convert the column C values into date. Now try Pivoting using column D as your date

Code:
=IFERROR(DATE(RIGHT(C1,4),LEFT(C1,FIND("/",C1)-1),MID(C1,FIND("/",C1)+1,FIND("/",C1,4)-FIND("/",C1)-1)),C1)

Thank you so much Sunny! It finally worked!
I did two things:
1. Simplified my formulas in the columns. I had different columns and long formulas in each of them that were feeding into my final column which also was constructed by a formula.
2. Second when creating the pivot table I check marked "Add this data to a data Model" and it worked. However I had already applied your code into my formula and then did this 2nd step. It worked out automatically by grouping into months and years.

Then I tried not applying your code and again marked "Add this data to a data Model" when creating the pivot table and the grouping by years and months again automatically worked.

Now I don't know is it marking into a data model when creating a pivot really makes it work - but I am sure your code really helped as well!
Thank you so much again!
I really appreciate your help! This forum is the best! I will come back again if I have any questions and will recommend this forum to anyone. Very professional and fast responses!

Best,
Nanka

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr Hughes

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back