Excel schedule with fraction of days

Spencer0202

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I am trying to create a schedule in excel that will account for fractions of a day.

Column H is the task duration - Column I are my start dates - Column J are my end dates

task #1 takes .5 a day (.5 in cell H1) - start date is set at 4/18/22 (4/18/22 in cell I1) - What formula works for J1 so it ends up showing 4/18/22 but still accounting for half the day?
task #2 takes 2.75 days (2.75 in H2) - if I put (=J1) in cell I2 it just puts the start time for task #2 at the beginning of 4/18/22. It does not account for the .5 day from task #1. what formula works for I2 to incorporate the time spent on the previous task?
task #3 takes .75 days (.75 in H3) - J3 start date should be 4/21 because task 1 and 2 are 3.25 days so 18th is day 1, 19th is day 2, 20th is day 3. The .75 from task #3 means task #3 should end at the end of the day on 4/21, which is the 4th day from 4/18. And then task #5 would start at the beginning of 4/22/22

Not sure if it would help converting everything into hours and then count on a 10 hour work day so .1=1hr , .5=5 hours(half a day), ect. But we typically work 4-10hour shifts. I am factoring my TASK DURATION in days and fractions of days so I do not care about start time of working hours during the day (unless that needs to come into play for the formula someone provides, it does not matter to me)

I have been wasting so much time scouring these threads and trying to watch video playing with the workday, workdayint function. I saw one thread they were trying to calculate it as a SUM function but everything I have seen or tried has not worked and would not account for the fraction of the day before.

Any help on this would be extremely appreciated.

Thank you, Spencer

Excel Facts

Format cells as date
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+3 to format cells as date. (Shift 3 is the # sign which sort of looks like a small calendar).
Joe4, when I first made the post I was trying simplify it without having any pictures so disregard the first post, because it doesnt actually match what my picture shows.

I am trying to create a schedule in excel that will account for fractions of a day.

task #1 takes .5 a day (.5 in cell H2) - start date is set at 4/18/22 (4/18/22 in cell I2) - What formula works for J1 so it ends up showing 4/18/22 but still accounting for half the day? Right now I have the workday formula, and I tried doing it -1 which works if items are longer than 1 day, but when things take less than 1 day then it makes the end day on 4/17/22.

task #2 takes 2.75 days (2.75 in H3) - if I put (=J2) in cell I2 it just puts the start time for task #2 at the beginning of 4/18/22. It does not account for the .5 day from task #1. what formula works for I3 to incorporate the time spent on the previous task?
task #3 takes .75 days (.75 in H4) – J4 start date should be 4/21 because task 1 and 2 are 3.25 days so 18th is day 1, 19th is day 2, 20th is day 3. The .75 from task #3 means task #3 should end at the end of the day on 4/21, which is the 4th day from 4/18. And then task #4 would start at the beginning of 4/22/22

Not sure if it would help converting everything into hours and then count on a 10 hour work day so .1=1hr , .5=5 hours(half a day), ect. But we typically work 4-10hour shifts. I am factoring my TASK DURATION in days and fractions of days so I do not care about start time of working hours during the day (unless that needs to come into play for the formula someone provides, it does not matter to me)

Mr Excel fraction of days question.png

Any help on this would be extremely appreciated.

Thank you, Spencer

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tayo4dgacorbanget

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back