expand code for multiple columns by dictionary & array

abdo meghari

Office Version
  1. 2019
hi
I got this code from some forum, but I don't remember who's owner it because it's long time ago in my PC
I implement the code and works for my data .
now I would expand code when show the result should show the items into column G,H,J,I,K based on range A2:E
I put the simple data to understand me what I want .
orginal data
MR.xlsm
ABCDE
1CODEBRANDTYPEORIGINQTY
2AA1200R20G580JAP55
3AA1200R20G580JAP20
4BB1400R20VSJCHI30
5BB1400R20VSJCHI40
sheet1

result
MR.xlsm
GHIJK
1CODEBRANDTYPEORIGINQTY
2AA1200R20G580JAP75
3BB1400R20VSJCHI70
sheet1

and this is the code
VBA Code:
Option Base 1
Sub summing_duplicateditems()

Dim Data As Variant, R As Long
Dim QtyDict As Object

Set QtyDict = CreateObject("scripting.dictionary")

Data = Range("A2", Cells(Rows.Count, "D").End(xlUp))

With QtyDict

For R = 1 To UBound(Data)

If Not .Exists(Data(R, 1)) Then 'if no dictionary entry for first column then make a new key...
            .Add Data(R, 1), Data(R, 4) 'adding first value

Else
                .Item(Data(R, 1)) = .Item(Data(R, 1)) + Data(R, 4) ' if existing dictionary, add new value for that item
        End If

Next R

Range("F2:F" & .Count + 1) = Application.Transpose(.Keys) ' added 1 to each count (since reporting totals from row 2)
        Range("G2:G" & .Count + 1) = Application.Transpose(.Items)

End With

End Sub
I look forward any one can mod this code.

So read posts #17 & 18 and try …​

And post #16 does not use an array …​

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Enter current date or time
Ctrl+: enters current time. Ctrl+; enters current date. Use Ctrl+: Ctrl+; Enter for current date & time.
but my request how show the others columns by dictionary and array .
So you must first understand how a Dictionary works …​
Then what should be exactly the key to use ?​
In the case only the column A is the key so you can use a single Dictionary and store for each key an array according to columns A:E …​
As a reminder for huge data a Dictionary is not always the fastest way.​

Upvote 0
@johnnyL fantastic ! your code is fast . the running speed gives from 0.02 to 0.03 , but it clears the headers from column G:K . how fix it please?

VBA Code:
Sub summing_duplicateditems_NoArrayV2()                      ' More than one item per key in a dictionary without array example
'
'
'   This requires creating a new class Module called 'AF_DictionaryClass'
'       In that Class Module type the following: for example
'           Public AF_DictionaryKey     As String            ' Code
'           Public AF_DictionaryItem1   As String            ' Brand
'           Public AF_DictionaryItem2   As String            ' Type
'           Public AF_DictionaryItem3   As String            ' Origin
'           Public AF_DictionaryItem4   As Long              ' Qty
'
'       That will establish the key and 4 items for the key, make sure you Dim them properly. ;)
'
    Dim ArrayFreeDictionary As AF_DictionaryClass
    Dim TableRow            As Long
    Dim Dict                As Object
    Dim TableStartAddress   As Range
    Dim TableRange          As Range
    Dim Code                As String
    Dim Key                 As Variant
    Dim wsSource            As Worksheet
'
    Set wsSource = Sheets("Sheet1")                                     ' <--- Set this to the proper sheet name
    Set TableStartAddress = wsSource.Range("A1")                        ' <--- Set this to the start address of the table
'
    Set Dict = CreateObject("scripting.dictionary")                     ' Create a Dictionary
    Set TableRange = TableStartAddress.CurrentRegion                    ' Get the TableRange to be used
'
    For TableRow = 2 To TableRange.Rows.count                           ' Loop through Table rows, starting loop with row 2 so we can skip the header row
        Code = TableRange.Cells(TableRow, 1).Value                      '   Save potential Dictionary key into 'Code'
        If Dict.exists(Code) = False Then                               '   If Dictionary key doesn't exist then ...
            Set ArrayFreeDictionary = New AF_DictionaryClass            '       Create new ArrayFreeDictionary Key
            ArrayFreeDictionary.AF_DictionaryKey = Code                 '       Save 'Code' into new ArrayFreeDictionary Key
            Dict.Add Key:=ArrayFreeDictionary.AF_DictionaryKey, Item:=ArrayFreeDictionary   ' Add Items to new ArrayFreeDictionary
        Else
            Set ArrayFreeDictionary = Dict(Code)
        End If
'
        With ArrayFreeDictionary                                        '
            .AF_DictionaryItem1 = TableRange.Cells(TableRow, 2).Value   '       Save Brand into AF_DictionaryItem1
            .AF_DictionaryItem2 = TableRange.Cells(TableRow, 3).Value   '       Save Type into AF_DictionaryItem2
            .AF_DictionaryItem3 = TableRange.Cells(TableRow, 4).Value   '       Save Origin into AF_DictionaryItem1
            .AF_DictionaryItem4 = .AF_DictionaryItem4 + TableRange.Cells(TableRow, 5).Value '       Add Qty to Qty in AF_DictionaryItem4
        End With
    Next
'
    Set TableRange = wsSource.Range("G2").CurrentRegion                 ' Establish Result Table
    TableRange.Offset(1).ClearContents                                  ' Clear any previous values in that table
'
    TableRow = 2                                                        ' Initialize row # of Table
'
    For Each Key In Dict                                                ' Loop through each Dictionary key
        Set ArrayFreeDictionary = Dict(Key)                             '   Save Dictionary Key into ArrayFreeDictionary
'
        With ArrayFreeDictionary                                        '   with the ArrayFreeDictionary ...
            TableRange.Cells(TableRow, 1).Value = .AF_DictionaryKey     '       Display Dictionary Key to Table
            TableRange.Cells(TableRow, 2).Value = .AF_DictionaryItem1   '       Display Dictionary Item1 to Table
            TableRange.Cells(TableRow, 3).Value = .AF_DictionaryItem2   '       Display Dictionary Item2 to Table
            TableRange.Cells(TableRow, 4).Value = .AF_DictionaryItem3   '       Display Dictionary Item3 to Table
            TableRange.Cells(TableRow, 5).Value = .AF_DictionaryItem4   '       Display Dictionary Item4 to Table
        End With
'
        TableRow = TableRow + 1                                         '   Increment the TableRow
    Next                                                                ' Loop back
End Sub

Upvote 0
As a reminder for huge data a Dictionary is not always the fastest way.
can you tell me how ?
so I will test your code without dictionary for about 1000 rows and johnnyL's code then I will inform you if you're right or wrong .

Upvote 0
Huge data means more than 400k unique keys where the Dictionary start to be slower & slower so you are far from this size …​

Upvote 0
A Dictionary VBA demonstration with columns A:D as keys :​
VBA Code:
Sub Demo3()
        Dim V, W, R&
    With Sheet1
       .[G1].CurrentRegion.Offset(1).Clear
        V = .Evaluate(Replace("A2:A#&CHAR(9)&B2:B#&CHAR(9)&C2:C#&CHAR(9)&D2:D#", "#", .UsedRange.Rows.Count))
        W = .Range("E2:E" & UBound(V) + 1).Value2
    With CreateObject("Scripting.Dictionary")
        For R = 1 To UBound(V):  .Item(V(R, 1)) = .Item(V(R, 1)) + W(R, 1):  Next
        V = Application.Transpose(.Keys())
        W = Application.Transpose(.Items())
       .RemoveAll
    End With
        With .[G2].Resize(UBound(V))
             .Value2 = V
             .TextToColumns , 1, xlTextQualifierNone, , True
             .Columns(5).Value2 = W
        End With
    End With
End Sub

Upvote 0
@Marc L thanks to give me better way , but I'm too confuesed about your last code . from the first time when there ara just headers from column G: K the code it's slow and gives running speed 2.98 , also show message "There is already data in worksheet, do you want to replace it?"

but not always some time the code is very fast and gives 0.03
I no know what 's the main reason causes it :unsure:

Upvote 0
thanks to give me better way
It's very not a better way but exactly the same Dictionary way.​
So you did not well read my previous directions & explanations (like posts #17 & 18) and it's ttttttiiiiiiiimmmmmmmeeeeeee to learn …​

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mnur

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back