extract certain columns based on title

Griffin29

Hi All, I am confusing myself and struggling with something I think should be simple. Please help :)

I have a ws with approx 30 columns, they are always named the same but sometimes there are only 25 of them and sometimes they are in a different order, it is really annoying.
In one of the columns is a unique number, another contains a geography - the remaining are just additional data some I need some I don't.

I would like to be able to set up a system where I paste the data into a sheet in a different workbook (let's call it TEMPDATA) and then in populates a pre-formated table in another shhet (let's call it DATA) with specific columns in a specific order. So for example:

Supplied data column headings are: A B D H C F E in that order. I will paste that as raw data into a worksheet TEMPDATA
I want sheet DATA to have headings A B C and F only but to populate with the 'new data' from TEMPDATA

I've tried some vlookup and match/index but it is far from efficient. I've also tried recording a macro that re-arranges the columns after pasting and deletes the ones I don't need but because the order changes it often just ends up deleting things I do need. I think I need something that says 'Look for a heading in TEMPDATA row 1 called "A" and if you find it paste from row 2 down to the end into DATA under the "A" heading then to keep going for data in BCand F.

Help appreciated - maybe I am overthinking but spent the morning achieving little.

Excel Facts

Add Bullets to Range
Select range. Press Ctrl+1. On Number tab, choose Custom. Type Alt+7 then space then @ sign (using 7 on numeric keypad)
Hi,

You Should be able to do what you want using advanced filter either manually or with a macro

Manually

1 – add sheet (Data)

2 -From your sheet (TempData) copy the headings in order required to sheet Data - its important these headings are the same

3 – with sheet Data Active, form Ribbon Data > Sort & filter > Advanced

4 – From Displayed Dialog select

• Copy To Another Location
  • List Range – Select the ENTIRE Range in your Sheet TempData (including the headers)
  • Copy To – place cursor in the field takes you back to Sheet Data. Select The Headers
Press ok should filter all the records

with a macro

VBA Code:
Sub filterdata()

Sheets("TempData").Range("A1").CurrentRegion.AdvancedFilter Action:=xlFilterCopy, _
        CopyToRange:=Sheets("Data").Range("A1:D1"), Unique:=False
End Sub

The macro assumes your sheet Data already exists with required Headings & both sheets are named TempData & Data accordingly.

Hope Helpful

Dave

Upvote 0
Hi,

You Should be able to do what you want using advanced filter either manually or with a macro

Manually

1 – add sheet (Data)

2 -From your sheet (TempData) copy the headings in order required to sheet Data - its important these headings are the same

3 – with sheet Data Active, form Ribbon Data > Sort & filter > Advanced

4 – From Displayed Dialog select

• Copy To Another Location
  • List Range – Select the ENTIRE Range in your Sheet TempData (including the headers)
  • Copy To – place cursor in the field takes you back to Sheet Data. Select The Headers
Press ok should filter all the records

with a macro

VBA Code:
Sub filterdata()

Sheets("TempData").Range("A1").CurrentRegion.AdvancedFilter Action:=xlFilterCopy, _
End Sub

The macro assumes your sheet Data already exists with required Headings & both sheets are named TempData & Data accordingly.

Hope Helpful

Dave
Dave ........you have blown my mind, that is so helpful thank you. Really appreciate the manual explanation too. I looked at it, thought 'not a chance I must have explained what I wantd incorrectly' but it worked like a charm.
Can I be really cheeky, rather than me do another step once I have the data, is there a way I could incorporate an IF statement or extra filter so for example if the data in column A was all Names, I would choose only the Rows with Tim in ?

Upvote 0
Hi,
Advanced filter is often overlooked for such requirements

To do what you want you just include a filter criteria

- Copy required heading (Column A) from TempData sheet to F1 in Data Sheet
- Enter the Name You want to Filter In F2

The run this updated macro

VBA Code:
Sub filterdata()

CriteriaRange:=Sheets("Data").Range("F1:F2"), _
End Sub

This will filter all records that match both whole & part names
If you need to filter an exact match then in F2 you need to enter criteria as follows

="=Tim"

To filter ALL records leave F2 blank

Dave

Upvote 0
Hi,
Advanced filter is often overlooked for such requirements

To do what you want you just include a filter criteria

- Copy required heading (Column A) from TempData sheet to F1 in Data Sheet
- Enter the Name You want to Filter In F2

The run this updated macro

VBA Code:
Sub filterdata()

CriteriaRange:=Sheets("Data").Range("F1:F2"), _
End Sub

This will filter all records that match both whole & part names
If you need to filter an exact match then in F2 you need to enter criteria as follows

="=Tim"

To filter ALL records leave F2 blank

Dave
You have opened my eyes, thank you again, really helpful and I am already looking at the possibilities in other worksheets I need to use.

Upvote 0
You have opened my eyes, thank you again, really helpful and I am already looking at the possibilities in other worksheets I need to use.

AdavancedFilter Method is a very powerful function - you can apply a number of filters & extract data required with very little code.

Glad all worked ok for you

Dave

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m_smith_solihull

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back