Extracting data from Business Objects to Excel using VBA

Ian Bartlett

All,

I'm running Win 7, Excel 2010 and Business Objects 6.5.

I'm attempting to run a VBA script in Excel to start Business Objects, open a file, refresh it and then extract the data into Excel.

What I have so far, working fine, is this:

<font face=Courier New><SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN> Open_BO_and_Rep()<br>****<br>****<SPAN style="color:#00007F">Dim</SPAN> BOApp <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Object</SPAN><br><br>****<SPAN style="color:#00007F">Set</SPAN> BOApp = CreateObject("BusinessObjects.application")<br><br>****<SPAN style="color:#00007F">With</SPAN> BOApp<br>********.Visible = <SPAN style="color:#00007F">True</SPAN><br>********.LoginAs "Username", "Password"<br>********.Documents.Open ("E:\Graph Book.rep")<br>********<br>********<SPAN style="color:#00007F">With</SPAN> .ActiveDocument<br>************.Refresh<br>********<SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">With</SPAN><br>****<br>****<SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">With</SPAN><br><br><SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN></FONT>

This opens BO & the required file, and refreshes it. So far, so good.

My problem lies with the next step, of getting the data from the refreshed BO report into Excel.

I found this code:

<font face=Courier New>****<SPAN style="color:#00007F">With</SPAN> .ActiveDocument<br>********.Refresh<br>********i = 1<br>********<SPAN style="color:#00007F">For</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Each</SPAN> rpt <SPAN style="color:#00007F">In</SPAN> .Reports<br>****************rpt.Activate<br>****************BOApp.CmdBars(2).Controls("&Edit").Controls(20).Execute<br>****************Sheets(i).Range("A1").PasteSpecial Paste:=xlPasteValues<br>************i = i + 1<br>********<SPAN style="color:#00007F">Next</SPAN><br>****<SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">With</SPAN><br><SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">With</SPAN></FONT>

which should select all / copy all in the BO report, and then paste it into Excel. I can't get it to work. I receive the error "Paste Special method of range class failed" at the "Sheets(i).Range("A1").PasteSpecial Paste:=xlPasteValues" line.

I found references to "adding BO to the Excel library", but I couldn't find how to do this and I'm not sure if this is the cause.

Could anyone help please?

Ian

Excel Facts

Test for Multiple Conditions in IF?
Use AND(test, test, test, test) or OR(test, test, test, ...) as the logical_test argument of IF.
Repost with cleaned up code - anyone able to assist?

<font face=Courier New><SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN> Get_BO_Data()<br>    <br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Dim</SPAN> BOApp <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Object</SPAN><br><br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Set</SPAN> BOApp = CreateObject("BusinessObjects.application")<br><br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">With</SPAN> BOApp<br>        .Visible = <SPAN style="color:#00007F">True</SPAN><br>        .LoginAs "Username", "Password"<br>        .Documents.Open ("E:\Graph Book.rep")<br>        <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Call</SPAN> rpt.ExportAsExcel("E:\Graph Book.xls")<br>        <SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">With</SPAN><br><br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Set</SPAN> BOApp = <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Nothing</SPAN><br><br><SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN></FONT>

and not working:

<font face=Courier New>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">With</SPAN> .ActiveDocument<br>        .Refresh<br>        i = 1<br>        <SPAN style="color:#00007F">For</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Each</SPAN> rpt <SPAN style="color:#00007F">In</SPAN> .Reports<br>                rpt.Activate<br>                BOApp.CmdBars(2).Controls("&Edit").Controls(20).Execute<br>                Sheets(i).Range("A1").PasteSpecial Paste:=xlPasteValues<br>            i = i + 1<br>        <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Next</SPAN><br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">With</SPAN><br><SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">With</SPAN></FONT>

Thanks,

Ian

Upvote 0
I found the code that I needed to save the BO report as a spreadsheet, hope it's of use to someone else:

<font face=Courier New>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Call</SPAN> BOApp.ActiveDocument.ActiveReport.ExportAsText("E:\Graph Book Data.xls")<br></FONT>

Thread closed.

Ian

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gwguy

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back