Extracting Only Certain Data -- Need help with a function.

kamil

This is basically a follow-up to my question from last week.

Bottom line is this:

I have 5,000+ cells in a document with over 5,000 rows and columns up to the letter Q. The column I am working with is L. I need to remove all text in the 5,000+ cells and leave only numeric values. The placement of the text and numeric values within the cells is random.

I was able to achieve this result with Mark W's help:

If L1 contains "012321 BGH YRK", enter the array formula...

{=LEFT(L1,MAX(IF(ISNUMBER(MID(L1,ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&LEN(L1))),1)+0),ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&LEN(L1))))))}

...into M1, and the array formula...

{=RIGHT(M1,COUNT(IF(ISNUMBER(MID(M1,ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&LEN(M1))),1)+0),1)))}

...into N1. Fill down the formulas in M1 and N1 as needed. Your substrings containing only numeric characters are in column N. This solution assumes that there will only be 1 contiguous set of numeric characters per text value in column L.

Note: Array formulas must be entered using the Control+Shift+Enter key combination. The outermost braces, { }, are not entered by you -- they're supplied by Excel in recognition of a properly entered array formula. For more on array formulas see the Excel Help topic for "About array formulas and how to enter them".

What I need to do now is create a formula that will be applied to the original L column and extract only the project codes that are invalid and put them in a seperate column. A valid project code is 5 numeric digits in one contiguous string (no spaces) with no other characters in the cell. (ie- 43023 and nothing else). Many cells have data such as 43023 KEWO 342 or ODK32402-2. These are invalid and we need to seperate them in order to contact all vendors who are supplying incorrect project codes.

Can I somehow modify Mark W's functions to achieve this or is there another easier function I can use? Any help is appreciated.
This message was edited by kamil on 2002-07-15 08:02

Excel Facts

Enter current date or time
Ctrl+: enters current time. Ctrl+; enters current date. Use Ctrl+: Ctrl+; Enter for current date & time.
kamil, you could just check the length of the value in column N using...

=LEN(N1)

A length other than 5 would be invalid.

Upvote 0
Unfortunately due to the complexity of the previous functions I wasn't able to learn anything of how they work. How would I apply this LEN function to the entire L column?

Upvote 0
I know what the function should do but unfortunately I am not familiar with the syntax in excel at all. Basically the new column should perform a LEN on each respective cell in column L and then take the value from the cell only if its LEN result is greater than 5. Now how do I write this? :)
This message was edited by kamil on 2002-07-15 09:10

Upvote 0
No, you should examine the length of each value in column N. Simply enter =LEN(N1) into the next unused column and fill down as needed. You can now apply an AutoFilter to your list using the new column to display all column N values whose length is not 5.

Upvote 0
Excellent -- you are invaluable Mark! Saving me alot of time and headache here. Many thanks!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent Khandagale

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back