Filling alternate cells with two colours?

TheWennerWoman

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I've got about 1 row x 250 columns of data which are coloured alternately to make things easier to read. If I insert a column half way along, I have to go through and manually change the cell colours. I started off with this but haven't managed to finish it
VBA Code:
Sub alternate_colours()
a = 334 ' column LV
b = 571 ' column UY
Cells(4, a).Select
    With Selection.Interior
        .Pattern = xlSolid
        .PatternColorIndex = xlAutomatic
        .ThemeColor = xlThemeColorAccent6
        .TintAndShade = 0.799981688894314
        .PatternTintAndShade = 0
    End With
Cells(4, a + 1).Select
    With Selection.Interior
        .Pattern = xlSolid
        .PatternColorIndex = xlAutomatic
        .ThemeColor = xlThemeColorAccent2
        .TintAndShade = 0.799981688894314
        .PatternTintAndShade = 0
    End With
End Sub

I could wrap a DO....WHILE loop around to quit when the value of b is reached.

My query is: some of the cells in row 4 are merged so simply adding 1 to the variable a each time is going to error at some point. Is there a way of doing this?

Thanks in advance.

Excel Facts

Convert text numbers to real numbers
Select a column containing text numbers. Press Alt+D E F to quickly convert text to numbers. Faster than "Convert to Number"
Why are you using VBA to do this?
I think you can use the ISEVEN and ISODD functions along with the COLUMN() function to do what you want with Conditional Formatting (i.e. =ISEVEN(COLUMN()), =ISODD(COLUMN())).

And I highly recommend getting rid of the merged cells. They are an abomination that cause nothing but issues for things like VBA, sorting, etc.
They are probably the single worst feature of Excel, and experienced Excel programmers know to avoid them like the plague!

If merging cells across multiple columns in a single row, it is far better to use the "Center Across Selection" formatting option, which gives you the same visual effect without all the issues merged cells cause. See here for details: Tom’s Tutorials For Excel: Using Center Across Selection Instead of Merging Cells – Tom Urtis

Upvote 1
Anyone else have a VBA solution?

"Centre Across Selection" doesn't work work for this because it doesn't keep cells 5, 6 and 7 the same format if they're merged.

Upvote 0
Do the cells really need to be merged?
Can you unmerge them and widen the columns?

I am not kidding when I tell you how problematic merged cells can be, especially for things like VBA.
To be honest, I know that many people on this board will not even attempt to answer questions involving merged cells - that is how much people try to avoid them.

If you need to keep the merged cells, I think you will need to check each and every cells to see if it is part of a merged cell; something like the code shown in the responses here:

However, this could get tricky if you have back-to-back merge areas, i.e. A-C are merged and D-F are merged, as then all cells in the range A-F are in merged cells, though it is two different merge ranges. As you can see, this has the potential to get a bit messy. I am not even sure how to accomplish this.

Upvote 1

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr Hughes

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back