Filter function condition ideas?

MountainFog

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi All,

I can't use the xl2bb tool due to work policy. I have a filter function that I am using to filter a list of timesheet data, but when a correction is made, it doesn't delete the entry, but cancels it out with another entry. I'm trying to use a filter function with array formula to filter the data down to people that have overhead hours, with entries that don't have a canceled-out entry. I'm able to filter to overhead, but I'm stuck when it comes to the other condition. Essentially, I want something that says that the sum of that person, for that date, does not equal 0. Not sure how to do that as an array formula that would spill down. My initial reaction was Sumifs, but not sure how to convert that into array, particularly the condition.

Excel Formula:
=LET(a,$AT:$AY,FILTER(a,(CHOOSECOLS(a,1)<>"")*(CHOOSECOLS(a,1)<>"Task")*($AZ:$AZ="Overhead")))
-------------AT--------------------------------------------------------AU-------------------------AV-----------------------AW-------------------------------AX--------------------------------AY----------------------------AZ
TaskLaborCategoryPayCodePersonDateHoursHelper
xxxxx-Overhead Laborxxxxx-Overhead LaborREGDoe, John
8-May-23​
8​
Overhead
8-May-23​
-8​
Overhead
xxxxx-Overhead Laborxxxxx-LaborREGDoe, John
5-Jun-26​
8​
Labor
xxxxx-Overhead Laborxxxxx-LaborREGDoe, John
5-Jun-26​
-8​
Labor
4-Jul-29​
8​
Overhead

Thank you all for the help!

Excel Facts

How to create a cell-sized chart?
Tiny charts, called Sparklines, were added to Excel 2010. Look for Sparklines on the Insert tab.
How do you make a distinction between "overhead" and "labor" in column AZ, as the Task column uses both of those words? The LaborCategory column does not...is that column used to create the AZ helper column?

Upvote 0
Here is one idea. There may be some better ways, but seems to work.
MrExcel_20240203.xlsx
ATAUAVAWAXAYAZBABBBC
1TaskLaborCategoryPayCodePersonDateHoursOverhead NOT Canceled Out
2xxxxx-Overhead Laborxxxxx-Overhead LaborREGDoe, John8-May-238Doe, John4-Jul-268
3xxxxx-Overhead Laborxxxxx-Overhead LaborREGDoe, John8-May-23-8Adams, John4-Sep-298
4xxxxx-Overhead Laborxxxxx-LaborREGDoe, John5-Jun-268Abby, Chris4-Oct-298
5xxxxx-Overhead Laborxxxxx-LaborREGDoe, John5-Jun-26-8
6xxxxx-Overhead Laborxxxxx-Overhead LaborREGDoe, John4-Jul-268
7xxxxx-Overhead Laborxxxxx-Overhead LaborREGAdams, John5-Aug-268
8xxxxx-Overhead Laborxxxxx-Overhead LaborREGAdams, John5-Aug-26-8
9xxxxx-Overhead Laborxxxxx-Overhead LaborREGAdams, John4-Sep-298
10xxxxx-Overhead Laborxxxxx-Overhead LaborREGAbby, Chris5-Jun-268
11xxxxx-Overhead Laborxxxxx-Overhead LaborREGAbby, Chris5-Jun-26-8
12xxxxx-Overhead Laborxxxxx-Overhead LaborREGAbby, Chris4-Oct-298
Sheet3
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
BA2:BC4BA2=LET(a,$AT:$AY,lrow,MAX(IF(ISBLANK(INDEX(a,,1)),0,ROW(INDEX(a,,1)))),data,DROP(TAKE(a,lrow),1),oh,ISNUMBER(SEARCH("Overhead",INDEX(data,,2))),fdata,FILTER(data,oh*(INDEX(data,,1)<>"")),pd,UNIQUE(CHOOSECOLS(fdata,4,5)),res,BYROW(pd,LAMBDA(r,SUM(FILTER(INDEX(fdata,,6),(INDEX(fdata,,4)=INDEX(r,1))*(INDEX(fdata,,5)=INDEX(r,2)))))),FILTER(HSTACK(pd,res),res>0))
Dynamic array formulas.

Upvote 0
Here is a slightly shortened version based on the same ideas, using the following steps:
  1. Define "a", the column range containing the source data.
  2. Define a filtered data set, called "fdata", by filtering "a" and keeping only rows where the 1st column of "a" is not empty and the 2nd column of "a" contains the word "Overhead". That should identify only Overhead entries (I think?), while eliminating blank rows and the column headings...essentially creating a consolidated array containing only data of interest.
  3. Define a two-column array, called "pd" consisting of only unique combinations of Person and Date found in "fdata".
  4. Create a one-column array of sums, called "res", containing the sum of Hours for each combination Person/Date in the "pd" array. This is done using the BYROW LAMBDA function, which passes each row of "pd", one at a time, to the FILTER function, where the 6th column of "fdata" (Hours) is filtered based on whether the 4th column of "fdata" (Person) matches the 1st element of the "pd" row (Person) AND whether the 5th column of "fdata" (Date) matches the 2nd element of the "pd" row (Date). The resulting filtered array of hours is then summed, producing a result for that particular row of "pd", and then repeated until all rows of "pd" have been processed.
  5. Finally, the "pd" array and the resulting sums array "res" are stacked together horizontally and filtered to include only those where the summed hours "res" are greater than 0, meaning the Overhead hours were not cancelled out entirely.
MrExcel_20240203.xlsx
ATAUAVAWAXAYAZBABBBC
1TaskLaborCategoryPayCodePersonDateHoursOverhead NOT Canceled Out
2xxxxx-Overhead Laborxxxxx-Overhead LaborREGDoe, John8-May-238Doe, John4-Jul-268
3xxxxx-Overhead Laborxxxxx-Overhead LaborREGDoe, John8-May-23-8Adams, John4-Sep-298
4xxxxx-Overhead Laborxxxxx-LaborREGDoe, John5-Jun-268Abby, Chris4-Oct-298
5xxxxx-Overhead Laborxxxxx-LaborREGDoe, John5-Jun-26-8Falls, Ramey5-Nov-268
6xxxxx-Overhead Laborxxxxx-Overhead LaborREGDoe, John4-Jul-268
7xxxxx-Overhead Laborxxxxx-Overhead LaborREGAdams, John5-Aug-268
8xxxxx-Overhead Laborxxxxx-Overhead LaborREGAdams, John5-Aug-26-8
9xxxxx-Overhead Laborxxxxx-Overhead LaborREGAdams, John4-Sep-298
10xxxxx-Overhead Laborxxxxx-Overhead LaborREGAbby, Chris5-Jun-268
11xxxxx-Overhead Laborxxxxx-Overhead LaborREGAbby, Chris5-Jun-26-8
12xxxxx-Overhead Laborxxxxx-Overhead LaborREGAbby, Chris4-Oct-298
14xxxxx-Overhead Laborxxxxx-Overhead LaborREGFalls, Ramey5-Nov-268
Sheet3
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
BA2:BC5BA2=LET(a,$AT:$AY, fdata,FILTER(a,ISNUMBER(SEARCH("Overhead",INDEX(a,,2)))*(INDEX(a,,1)<>"")), pd,UNIQUE(CHOOSECOLS(fdata,4,5)), res,BYROW(pd,LAMBDA(r,SUM(FILTER(INDEX(fdata,,6),(INDEX(fdata,,4)=INDEX(r,1))*(INDEX(fdata,,5)=INDEX(r,2)))))), FILTER(HSTACK(pd,res),res>0))
Dynamic array formulas.

Upvote 1
Solution
Thank you! I stumbled on the only solution, which is HSTACK. Thank you!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mystic19

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back