Find last row in a dynamic range

Vincent88

Office Version
  1. 2019
Platform
  1. Windows
  2. Mobile
Hi Guys,
I am using this code to find the last row in a dynamic range lastRow = Range("A3").End(xlDown).Row but it's really not what I prefer If my current dynamic range is for example from A3 to A14 to AL rows. If I enter something in let say in cell A17, the last row will becom A17.
How to rewrite the code to really reflect the true last row of the current dynamic range ?

Excel Facts

Shade all formula cells
To shade all formula cells: Home, Find & Select, Formulas to select all formulas. Then apply a light fill color.
Why would you check for a last row, add an additional row further down, then complain that the first result is wrong?

Upvote 0
I guess you could put the code in a change event macro if you want the lastRow to be updated 'Live' so to speak.

Upvote 0
but it's really not what I prefer If my current dynamic range is for example from A3 to A14 to AL rows. If I enter something in let say in cell A17, the last row will becom A17.

This line will give you the last row with data from column A.
lr = Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row

But if you have data in A17 and D24, the last actual row with data then is 24.
If you don't know which column is the last row with data, then I show you 2 options:

VBA Code:
  lr = ActiveSheet.UsedRange.Rows(ActiveSheet.UsedRange.Rows.Count).Row
  lr = ActiveSheet.Cells.Find("*", , xlValues, , xlByRows, xlPrevious).Row

Upvote 0
This line will give you the last row with data from column A.
lr = Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row

But if you have data in A17 and D24, the last actual row with data then is 24.
If you don't know which column is the last row with data, then I show you 2 options:

VBA Code:
  lr = ActiveSheet.UsedRange.Rows(ActiveSheet.UsedRange.Rows.Count).Row
  lr = ActiveSheet.Cells.Find("*", , xlValues, , xlByRows, xlPrevious).Row
Hi DanteAmor, are your codes possible to specify the count is from column A1 or A3 ?

Upvote 0
@Vincent88 See if the following formulas help you determine what you are looking for:

VBA Code:
       LastRowInSheet = Sheets("Sheet1").Cells.Find("*", , xlFormulas, , xlByRows, xlPrevious).Row                      ' Returns a Row Number
       LastRowInRange = Sheets("Sheet1").Range("A1:D14").Find("*", , xlFormulas, , xlByRows, xlPrevious).Row            ' Returns a Row Number
'
    LastColumnInSheet = Split(Cells(1, (Sheets("Sheet1").Cells.Find("*", , xlFormulas, , xlByColumns, xlPrevious).Column)).Address, "$")(1)   ' Returns a Column Letter
    LastColumnInRange = Split(Cells(1, (Sheets("Sheet1").Range("A:E").Find("*", , xlFormulas, , xlByColumns, xlPrevious).Column)).Address, "$")(1)  ' Returns a Column Letter
        LastCellInRow = Split(Cells(1, (Sheets("Sheet1").Rows(13).Find("*", , xlFormulas, , xlByColumns, xlPrevious).Column)).Address, "$")(1)  ' Returns a Column Letter

Upvote 0
Why would you check for a last row, add an additional row further down, then complain that the first result is wrong?
Hi JohnnyL,
I did not say that the code is wrong. I use it in other workbooks quite frequent. The reason I ask for alternative source is that I may input something as note in column A below the range, the current lastrow code affects my other vba functions.
I do not understand what you mean.
Can you explain with an image what is the end goal?
Hi DanteAmor,
JohnnyL answered my quest already. Thank you. Will try the code.
@Vincent88 See if the following formulas help you determine what you are looking for:

VBA Code:
       LastRowInSheet = Sheets("Sheet1").Cells.Find("*", , xlFormulas, , xlByRows, xlPrevious).Row                      ' Returns a Row Number
       LastRowInRange = Sheets("Sheet1").Range("A1:D14").Find("*", , xlFormulas, , xlByRows, xlPrevious).Row            ' Returns a Row Number
'
    LastColumnInSheet = Split(Cells(1, (Sheets("Sheet1").Cells.Find("*", , xlFormulas, , xlByColumns, xlPrevious).Column)).Address, "$")(1)   ' Returns a Column Letter
    LastColumnInRange = Split(Cells(1, (Sheets("Sheet1").Range("A:E").Find("*", , xlFormulas, , xlByColumns, xlPrevious).Column)).Address, "$")(1)  ' Returns a Column Letter
        LastCellInRow = Split(Cells(1, (Sheets("Sheet1").Rows(13).Find("*", , xlFormulas, , xlByColumns, xlPrevious).Column)).Address, "$")(1)  ' Returns a Column Letter
Will try to see how they work. Thanks

Upvote 0
Hello Vincent 88,
if you want to find last row in some range use find method but,
specify the range for search and in the find function as second argument set the last row of that range.
VBA Code:
Sub FindRealLastRow()

Dim vR As Long

vR = [A3:A20].Find("*", [A20], , , , xlPrevious).Row

End Sub

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whatdoido

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back