find next row

rharri1972

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 2019
Platform
  1. Windows
I have a search window that I will type a string into. Example string: Table Top Whole Bird

I am using a VLOOKUP function.

I would like for it to find the exact string BUT if the exact string is not found, it can land on any row within the table that might have a match on any of the words in the string, 1 or more, 2 or more, etc.

What has happened is some of my part numbers have changed (before I aquired) but descriptions are typically the same. I am searching by description to get the new part number.

My customers are sending in orders with old part numbers from old company and now that I have aquired this business, I want to be able to find by description if I can't find by part number.

Is there a function that would make this possible? If it lands on a description that is not the correct one, I would like to click a button to continue the search and find the next row with any of the matching words in search window.

any help will be greatly appreciated.

Excel Facts

Move date out one month or year
Use =EDATE(A2,1) for one month later. Use EDATE(A2,12) for one year later.
You can try with the filter (formula) function to return all part numbers fitting the description.

Upvote 0
I have a search window that I will type a string into. Example string: Table Top Whole Bird

I am using a VLOOKUP function.

I would like for it to find the exact string BUT if the exact string is not found, it can land on any row within the table that might have a match on any of the words in the string, 1 or more, 2 or more, etc.

What has happened is some of my part numbers have changed (before I aquired) but descriptions are typically the same. I am searching by description to get the new part number.

My customers are sending in orders with old part numbers from old company and now that I have aquired this business, I want to be able to find by description if I can't find by part number.

Is there a function that would make this possible? If it lands on a description that is not the correct one, I would like to click a button to continue the search and find the next row with any of the matching words in search window.

any help will be greatly appreciated.
can you give us some sample data to work with. In general using vlookup with wildcards such as "*" can help you.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dsharae57

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back