Find start and end dates of various data series across one row

LordClick

Office Version
  1. 365
I am looking to pull the start and end dates of various data series across a single row. The data appears as follows:

4/1/20244/2/20244/3/20244/4/20244/5/20244/6/20244/7/20244/8/20244/9/20244/10/2024
AACCCBB

The table here only allows for 10 columns, but the data stretches across 10 years, and the series of A, B and C data each can be any duration, 1, month, 2 months, a year, anything. They can be in any sequence, and there can be multiple series A, B and C across the row.

What I would like to do is pull the date ranges of the various series as follows:

Start, End, Series:
4/2/2024, 4/3/2024, A
4/5/2024, 4/7/2024, C
4/9/2024, 4/10/2024, B

How do I achieve that?

Last edited:

Excel Facts

How can you turn a range sideways?
Copy the range. Select a blank cell. Right-click, Paste Special, then choose Transpose.
Wow, that's amazing! I can't even begin to understand how the formula works, but it works. Thank you so much!!
You're welcome. Glad it worked for you. Thanks for the follow-up. :)

I'll try for an explanation using row 2 in post 8 as the example
The formula looks at each cell in the relevant row range & joins (CONCAT) the relevant return related to that cell
If that cell is empty then return "" and move to the next one. That is the case for D2 in the example. So we have ""
If the cell is not empty and not the same as the cell immediately left then return the date from row 1 and a "|" delimiter. That is the case for E2 so we get "45383|" with 45383 being the relevant number for the 2/04/24 date.
The formula also looks at that same cell and if it is not the same as the cell immediately to the right it does something else (see below) otherwise, as is the case for E2 where the cell to the right is the same as E2, returns "". So our return so far is still "45383|"
Moving to F3 it is not blank and is the same as the cell immediately left so the first part returns "" but ..
.. the formula also looks at that same cell and if it is not the same as the cell immediately to the right (that is the case this time) it returns the date from row 1 (45384 for 3/04/24) and a "|" and the value of the cell it is currently looking at "A" (from F3) & another "|"
So far then we have altogether
"45383|45384|A|"

After processing the whole D2:T2 range the string will have built up to
"45384|45385|A|45387|45389|C|45391|45392|B|45394|45395|C|45397|45397|A|45398|45398|B|"
That text is then split at every "|"
DROP the final (empty) value from after that final "|"
Convert all the text numbers back to real numbers so the dates can be formatted and there you have it.
Hope that made sense. 🤞 :unsure:

Upvote 0
You're welcome. Glad it worked for you. Thanks for the follow-up. :)

I'll try for an explanation using row 2 in post 8 as the example
The formula looks at each cell in the relevant row range & joins (CONCAT) the relevant return related to that cell
If that cell is empty then return "" and move to the next one. That is the case for D2 in the example. So we have ""
If the cell is not empty and not the same as the cell immediately left then return the date from row 1 and a "|" delimiter. That is the case for E2 so we get "45383|" with 45383 being the relevant number for the 2/04/24 date.
The formula also looks at that same cell and if it is not the same as the cell immediately to the right it does something else (see below) otherwise, as is the case for E2 where the cell to the right is the same as E2, returns "". So our return so far is still "45383|"
Moving to F3 it is not blank and is the same as the cell immediately left so the first part returns "" but ..
.. the formula also looks at that same cell and if it is not the same as the cell immediately to the right (that is the case this time) it returns the date from row 1 (45384 for 3/04/24) and a "|" and the value of the cell it is currently looking at "A" (from F3) & another "|"
So far then we have altogether
"45383|45384|A|"

After processing the whole D2:T2 range the string will have built up to
"45384|45385|A|45387|45389|C|45391|45392|B|45394|45395|C|45397|45397|A|45398|45398|B|"
That text is then split at every "|"
DROP the final (empty) value from after that final "|"
Convert all the text numbers back to real numbers so the dates can be formatted and there you have it.
Hope that made sense. 🤞 :unsure:
Thanks for taking the time to explain this, it is very helpful! I have never used the LET function. I think I understand generally, very smart solution.
What in the formula causes it to step from one cell to the next within the row, checking all the values? Is that just inherent in the function?
And what does the double dash do in the IFERROR part?

With your formula, I am able to achieve what I was trying to do in my setup - thanks again! However, my setup may be a little clunky and things slow down quickly as I am populating it with data. I am therefore wondering if you might have an idea for a more elegant and faster solution. Here is the (simplified) data I am collecting (under the Right 1 - 6 row):

TitleRightTypeStart DateEnd Date
Right 1Right 2Right 3Right 4Right 5Right 6
Title 1NX4/1/20246/30/2024
Title 1H4/1/20246/30/2024
Title 1X9/1/20249/31/2024
Title 2X5/1/20245/31/2024
Title 2H5/1/20245/31/2024

There are any of titles. Each title can have any number of entries (rows), specifying which rights have been licensed for which period, and whether they have been licensed exclusively (Type X) or non-exclusively (Type NX). The entries may also specify which rights may not be licensed during a specific period (Type H = holdback). So the data specifies during which period certain rights are not available or only available non-exclusively.

What I am looking to determine, from a specific date (e.g. today 2/27/2024) going forward, for any given title, what are the periods where rights are still available for license, either exclusively or non-exclusively. Based on the above, the results should be:

Title 1:
Right 1 - 2/27/2024, 3/31/2024, Available - 4/1/2024, 6/30/2024, Non-exclusive - 7/1/2024, (last date specified for title), Available
Right 2 - 2/27/2024, 3/31/2024, Available - 7/1/2024, (last date specified for title), Available
Right 3 - 2/27/2024, 3/31/2024, Available - 7/1/2024, 8/31/2024, Available - 10/1/2024, (last date specified for title), Available
etc.

Title 2:
Right 1 - 2/27/2024, 4/30/2024, Available - 6/1/2024, (last date specified for title), Available
etc.

Hopefully that makes sense.

I don't want to bore you with explaining what I did, but essentially for each entry above, next to it, I laid out for each day of the year (one column being one day of the year), over 10 years, which rights have been licensed or held back how (X, NX, H), by using IF functions strung together. Then on a separate sheet, again for each day of the year, over 10 years, I used COUNTIFS to check whether, across all entries for a given title, each right is Available or available Non-exclusively and marked that date as such (nothing if not available on a given date). That is how I ended up with series of Available, Non-exclusive, or nothing, to which I then applied your formula to pull start and end dates of each series (originally marked A, B, C in my post).

Creating these daily grids for 10 years twice with long formulas in each cell going down many rows seems to slow down things a lot quickly, so if there is a way to avoid having to go that route and getting the same results based on the above data with less computing power, that would be a lot better. For now the current solution works, but the work process is slow, so in case you have any ideas how to get the same results without those daily grids, that would be super helpful. I haven't been able to think of anything, although I could imagine it could be done with VBA, but if it isn't necessary, I would rather avoid it...

Upvote 0
What in the formula causes it to step from one cell to the next within the row, checking all the values? Is that just inherent in the function?
Yes, in the recent Excel versions with dynamic array formulas, all formulas attempt to calculate as array formulas.

And what does the double dash do in the IFERROR part?
TEXTSPLIT returns text values, not numbers. So when this is split
the returns are
"45384", "45385", "A", etc
To be formatted as dates those text numbers need to be converted to actual numerical values.
-- does that (basically multiplying by -1 twice). This multiplication coerces the text value to an actual number. We could equally as well have instead used either +0 or *1 to do the coercion.
However, that coercion tries to act on every value in the split. So it also tries to multiply "A" by -1 twice
In my formula 'a' is a variable that hols all the split values so IFERROR(--a,a) tries to coerce them all to numbers. Where it can (with thee dates) it does and where it can't (with the letters) it returns the letters.

I'm not sure how I would attack your expanded requirement but I strongly suspect vba would be the way to go. I think the problem is quite different to the original one in this thread so if you want to pursue it in the forum I would start a new thread and provide a slightly larger set of sample data and expected results, preferably with XL2BB. You can provide a link back to this thread if you think it would assist helpers.

If providing sample data make sure it is accurate. I mention that because in the sample above it appears to have a date of 31 September which doesn't exist in my calendars. ;)

Upvote 0
Thanks for clarifying those Peter, appreciate the time.

And duly noted on everything, including date typo :)

I will see if I can come up with something simple in VBA to reduce load, and if I get stuck, post a new thread with questions.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anshu121

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back