Finding right look up/search functionality

Hedgingthehedge

Im having difficulty finding the right solution to identifying if a word is located within a column of sentences.

I have two tabs "master" and "Paste".

On the "master" tab I have a list of words in Column A. The "paste" tab is where I will be pasting a different output file. The goal is to identify/ find the cell in question from column A on the master tab with in Column E on the "Paste" tab. Column E is made up of cells holding various descriptions/ strings of words. If cell A2 is within Column E of the paste tab it populates the word within the cell in question.

=IFERROR(VLOOKUP($A2,'Paste'!$E:$E,1,0),"")

This is the formula I am currently trying to work from. It is located on "master" tab in column B next to the List of words I have compiled. I need to tweak it somehow to do exactly the same thing but have it work even if the word i'm trying to find is within a string of words in Column E of "Paste" tab. It only works when the word is by itself in column E (rightfully so).

I've tried embedding isnumber(search) iferror(index) variations but I cant quite figure out the right solution.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Excel Facts

Test for Multiple Conditions in IF?
Use AND(test, test, test, test) or OR(test, test, test, ...) as the logical_test argument of IF.
How about
=IFERROR(VLOOKUP("*"&$A2&"*",'Paste'!$E:$E,1,0),"")

Upvote 0
Thanks Fluff! Now in terms of visual purposes- say once it identifies what im looking for- is there any way to have it populate what cell on the other tab it is located within for easy investigation purposes. example: it can tell me it found it in "E98" so I could go directly there to investigate vs blindly scrolling through the column?

Upvote 0
Also any frequency advice if it is populating multiple times in column E how I could have that populate as well? ex: found it 4 total times? vs populating the cell contents

Upvote 0
How about
=IFERROR(ADDRESS(MATCH("*"&$A2&"*",Paste!$E:$E,0),5),"")

Upvote 0
That didn't seem to populate. Instead of identifying which cell it is coming from.. in a separate column any idea how I can use that original formula...

=IFERROR(VLOOKUP("*"&$A2&"*",'Paste'!$E:$E,1,0),"")

to do a count and tell me how many times the content in my "a2" cell populates throughout column E

Upvote 0
You asked for this
example: it can tell me it found it in "E98"
Which is what the formula in post#5 does.
If you want to know how many times it appears have a look at the countif function

Upvote 0
Thanks fluff.

=COUNTIF('Paste'!E:E,IFERROR(VLOOKUP("*"&$A219&"*",'Paste'!$E:$E,1,0),""))

I noticed on the cells that don't appear, the number "1047874" populates... the count works well for the other instances. what would be your fix for making that number show 0 vs 1047874 when it doesnt appear?

Upvote 0
Vlookup will only return the first time the value is found, so you need to get rid of it & just do a simple countif.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Motoracer88

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back