For input files of variable length, I want to avoid using "Fill" down to set up the correct number of formulae

Robert Lush

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:TrackMoves/> <w:TrackFormatting/> <w:DoNotShowComments/> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:DoNotPromoteQF/> <w:LidThemeOther>EN-US</w:LidThemeOther> <w:LidThemeAsian>X-NONE</w:LidThemeAsian> <w:LidThemeComplexScript>BN</w:LidThemeComplexScript> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> <w:SplitPgBreakAndParaMark/> <w:DontVertAlignCellWithSp/> <w:DontBreakConstrainedForcedTables/> <w:DontVertAlignInTxbx/> <w:Word11KerningPairs/> <w:CachedColBalance/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> <m:mathPr> <m:mathFont m:val="Cambria Math"/> <m:brkBin m:val="before"/> <m:brkBinSub m:val="--"/> <m:smallFrac m:val="off"/> <m:dispDef/> <m:lMargin m:val="0"/> <m:rMargin m:val="0"/> <m:defJc m:val="centerGroup"/> <m:wrapIndent m:val="1440"/> <m:intLim m:val="subSup"/> <m:naryLim m:val="undOvr"/> </m:mathPr></w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--> I want to input sets of data and process them into a new ranges. Each set that I input will be of a variable length in rows.

I want to be able to process this data using Excel formulae, but without having to manually “Fill” down the formulae according to the number of rows in the input RANGE. I can see how I might do this in VBA but I was wondering whether there is a way to do this without using VBA. One alternative might be always to have the formulae in every single row of the Worksheet, or the part of the original Worksheet, where the output is sent. But this seems so inelegant.

For example, here is some sample input data

Contributions in input section
DateEmployeeEmployer
15/04/201110000001000
15/07/20112000000
15/01/2011100000
15/09/2012200000
01/07/2011500000
15/07/2012600000
15/01/2012200003000

<tbody>
</tbody>
I might sort it using RANK and produce this output in a separate RANGE, leaving the original data unchanged

Contributions in output section
DateEmployeeEmployer
15/01/20111000000
15/04/201110000001000
01/07/20110500000
15/07/201120000000
15/01/2012200003000
15/07/20126000000
15/09/20122000000

<tbody>
</tbody>

I'd at least like to know if this is possible. I can then probably work my way through it.

Thanks

Excel Facts

Format cells as currency
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+4 to format cells as currency. (Shift 4 is the $ sign).
Perhaps you could use a table.

When you append data to columns in table any formulas in other columns will automatically be replicated.

Upvote 0
Thanks Norie,

I've not used Tables up to now, but it looks to be worthwhile learning to use them. I'll let you know how I got on in a day or so.

Robert

Upvote 0
Thanks Norie,

I've not used Tables up to now, but it looks to be worthwhile learning to use them. I'll let you know how I got on in a day or so.

Robert

Norie. This did what I wanted, although I had to rewrite some of my formlae. If I have fixed cell references such as $A$5 then the new rows I might add will not amend these. SO I'll do it a different way. It's useful to know that the Tables functionality exists, especially as it is closely related to PivotTable applications. So I have another tool for my toolbox. Thank you

Robert

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fragment

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back