Force Macro to NOT Open Workbooks in New Instance

DougRobertson

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello,

Last week I was forced kicking and screaming into upgrading to Excel 2016 from 2010.
One of the changes I noticed was that each time I have the Macro open a workbook, it always opens it in a New Instance. This is most annoying for some of the actions I have it perform when multiple workbooks are opened.

Is there a way to force it to NOT always open a New Instance, but to keep all workbooks in the Original Instance, as in days of olde?

With Many Thanks!

~ DWR

Excel Facts

Excel Joke
Why can't spreadsheets drive cars? They crash too often!
Are you sure it opens in a separate interface? Excel 2013 changes to a single-document interface, so it now behave more like Word.

What does Workbooks.Count return before and after opening a new workbook?

Upvote 0
Workbooks.Count returns 4 Workbooks before I open the New Workbook, and 5 Workbooks after I open it.

My Macros are quite integrated, so I have one Macro open another Macro in another Workbook etc.

They have all been working nicely for years now, mostly within the same Interface, and using the "Application.ScreenUpdating = False" code, it is mostly done behind the scenes.

Now with Excel 2016, it always opens new workbooks in a New Interface and everything is showing!

Thank you for taking a look at this!

Upvote 0
They are open in the same instance. The rest of your macro should work fine functionally, but some appearance aspects my be different. I don't have a version later than Excel 2010 to test.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Okay - thanks for your efforts to help out on this anyway. Kinda frustrating when thing work so well for so long, only to have Microsoft change it up!

~ DWR

Upvote 0
I still haven't heard what the problem is.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sousanna Aristiadou

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back