Form Option buttons within a Group

Drdave99

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi - I have a questionnaire with two text statements on a row with two Option Boxes on a row, only one of which can be chosen because they represent a preference. The whole row is enclosed in a Group and the other 39 questions are treated the same way.
I would like to know how the option boxes can be linked to an adjoining cell showing TRUE/FALSE depending on which button is activated.
Then I would be able to use =COUNTIF(range,”TRUE”) to analyse the responses into categories.

STATEMENT [] True. STATEMENT [] False

Hope someone could put me on the right track after the Option boxes have been installed!

Excel Facts

Why are there 1,048,576 rows in Excel?
The Excel team increased the size of the grid in 2007. There are 2^20 rows and 2^14 columns for a total of 17 billion cells.
I would like to know how the option boxes can be linked to an adjoining cell showing TRUE/FALSE depending on which button is activated.

For one of the option buttons in a group, set the Cell link (context menu -> Format Control...) to a cell on the same row. The same linked cell is used automatically for the other option button in the group. Do the same for the other groups. The linked cell displays 1 for the first option button or 2 for the second option button in a group, so =COUNTIF(range,"=1") gives the count of True responses.

Upvote 0
For one of the option buttons in a group, set the Cell link (context menu -> Format Control...) to a cell on the same row. The same linked cell is used automatically for the other option button in the group. Do the same for the other groups. The linked cell displays 1 for the first option button or 2 for the second option button in a group, so =COUNTIF(range,"=1") gives the count of True responses.
Hi - thank you for such good advice. If I were to set up a cell in the right column first, would that display 1 and the left button 2 and vice versa?
I ask this because my personality questionnaire has, for instance some Extravert statements (Like parties) on the right and some on the left - otherwise people suspect the answers and tick all the boxes on one side! Hope photo might explain .
Best wishes David

Upvote 0
Hi John - thank you for your very helpful reply. I enclose photo to ask whether if I programmed the right hand button first would it display1 and the left button display 2.
I ask this because my personality questionnaire measures several dimensions such as Extraversion/Introversion and I don’t want all the Extraversion statements to be on one side otherwise participants may recognise a pattern!
Hope this makes sense
Best wishes David
PS image too large to send - is there another way?
Q1 ACTIVE [ ]. or REFLECTIVE [ ]. (Extraversion on left)
Q4 RESERVED [ ]. or. TALKATIVE. [ ] (Extraversion on right)
Then, for analysis it would be =COUNTIF( cell containing left button associated with ACTIVE : cell containing right button associated with TALKATIVE,”=1”)

Upvote 0
Hi John - thank you for your very helpful reply. I enclose photo to ask whether if I programmed the right hand button first would it display1 and the left button display 2.
I ask this because my personality questionnaire measures several dimensions such as Extraversion/Introversion and I don’t want all the Extraversion statements to be on one side otherwise participants may recognise a pattern!
Hope this makes sense
Best wishes David
PS image too large to send - is there another way?
Q1 ACTIVE [ ]. or REFLECTIVE [ ]. (Extraversion on left)
Q4 RESERVED [ ]. or. TALKATIVE. [ ] (Extraversion on right)
Then, for analysis it would be =COUNTIF( cell containing left button associated with ACTIVE : cell containing right button associated with TALKATIVE,”=1”)

Attachments

• QUESTIONNAIRE 1.jpg
    QUESTIONNAIRE 1.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 9
Upvote 0
If I were to set up a cell in the right column first, would that display 1 and the left button 2 and vice versa?
Yes. The option button you insert first inside the group box displays 1 in the linked cell and the option button you insert second displays 2 in the linked cell. Therefore ensure that all the option buttons for the 'True' analysis are inserted first, like this:

1707397503626.png

Worksheet form option buttons group counts.xlsx
AB
6Count of option buttons inserted first (analysis = TRUE)4
7Count of option buttons inserted second (analysis = FALSE)0
Sheet3
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
B6B6=COUNTIF($B$2:$B$5,1)
B7B7=COUNTIF($B$2:$B$5,2)

Upvote 0
Solution
Yes. The option button you insert first inside the group box displays 1 in the linked cell and the option button you insert second displays 2 in the linked cell. Therefore ensure that all the option buttons for the 'True' analysis are inserted first, like this:

View attachment 106521

Worksheet form option buttons group counts.xlsx
AB
6Count of option buttons inserted first (analysis = TRUE)4
7Count of option buttons inserted second (analysis = FALSE)0
Sheet3
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
B6B6=COUNTIF($B$2:$B$5,1)
B7B7=COUNTIF($B$2:$B$5,2)
Thank you very much again for your advice. I have been looking for that solution for several weeks for either buttons or checkboxes, so now will press on with the 40 items!

Upvote 0
so now will press on with the 40 items!

You could add the 40 questions, associated group boxes and option buttons programmatically with the following VBA macro.

First add the following cell values to a blank sheet:
Worksheet form option buttons group counts.xlsm
ABCDEF
1Linked cell valueTrue option button textFalse option button textTrue option button number
2ActiveReflective1
3SympatheticAnalytic2
4ThinkingFeeling1
5TalkativeReserved2
Sheet4

In the VBA editor, add a new module and paste in the following code:

VBA Code:
Public Sub Add_Questions()

Dim ws As Worksheet
    Dim questionCells As Range
    Dim cell As Range
    Dim gb As GroupBox
    Dim ob As OptionButton
    Dim obCell As Range
    Dim obNum As Long

Set ws = ActiveSheet

With ws

Set questionCells = .Range("A2:A5")

.Columns("A").ColumnWidth = 40
        .Columns("B").ColumnWidth = 40

For Each cell In questionCells

cell.EntireRow.RowHeight = 60

'                        left         , top         , width                                , height
            Set gb = .GroupBoxes.Add(cell.Left + 4, cell.Top + 4, cell.Offset(, 2).Left - cell.Left - 8, cell.Height - 8)
            gb.Text = ""

obNum = cell.Offset(, 5).Value
            If obNum = 1 Then
                'Put first option button in column A cell with text from column D
                Set obCell = cell.Offset(, 0)
                Set ob = .OptionButtons.Add(obCell.Left + 8, obCell.Top + 8, obCell.Width - 16, obCell.Height - 16)
                ob.Text = cell.Offset(, 3).Value
                'Put second option button in column B cell with text fro column E
                Set obCell = cell.Offset(, 1)
                Set ob = .OptionButtons.Add(obCell.Left + 8, obCell.Top + 8, obCell.Width - 16, obCell.Height - 16)
                ob.Text = cell.Offset(, 4).Value
                'Set linked cell to column C cell
                ob.Value = xlOff
                ob.LinkedCell = cell.Offset(, 2).Address
            Else
                'Put first option button in column B cell with text from column D
                Set obCell = cell.Offset(, 1)
                ob.Text = cell.Offset(, 3).Value
                'Put second option button in column A cell with text from column E
                Set obCell = cell.Offset(, 0)
                ob.Text = cell.Offset(, 4).Value
                'Set linked cell to column C cell
                ob.Value = xlOff
                ob.LinkedCell = cell.Offset(, 2).Address
            End If

Next

End With

End Sub

After running the macro the sheet should look like this:

1707404025430.png

with the linked cells in column C ready for you to apply the COUNTIF formula to them. You can delete columns D:F.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
masterms

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back