Formula help: Identify specific sequences of numbers in a column

JackDanIce

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi,

I have a column of numbers with integer values: -1, 0 and 1, which represents if a game is lost, drawn or won.

If there is a sequence of non-positive values that sum to -3, I want the formula to return 0.
After this, the formula should return 1 if and only if there is a sequence of non-negative values that sum to 2

This is an example of the match results and formula output next to it:
Match ResultFormula result

Can anyone suggest a suitable formula please?

TIA,
Jack

Thank you, I'd prefer a formula but worse case I'll be able to figure some code out

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Waterfall charts in Excel?
Office 365 customers have access to Waterfall charts since late 2016. They were added to Excel 2019.
The following is what I have come up with for a custom function that will allow you to use formulas on the sheet:

Book5
ABCDEFG
1Match ResultFormula resultMatch ResultFormula resultMatch ResultFormula result
2-1Yes1Yes0Yes
3-1Yes1Yes1Yes
40Yes1Yes-1Yes
51Yes1Yes-1Yes
60Yes1Yes-1Yes
7-1Yes1Yes-1Yes
8-1Yes1Yes-1Yes
9-1Yes-1Yes-1No
10-1Yes-1Yes0No
111Yes-1Yes1No
120Yes-1Yes0No
131Yes-1Yes1No
140Yes1No1Yes
150No-1Yes
161No-1Yes
170Yes-1Yes
Sheet1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
B2:B14B2=SequenceTracker(A2:A14)
F2:F17,D2:D17D2=SequenceTracker(C2:C17)
Press CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER to enter array formulas.

The following is the function code to be copied into a regular module:

VBA Code:
Function SequenceTracker(rng As Range) As Variant
'
    Dim ArrayRow            As Long
    Dim CurrentMatchResult  As Long
    Dim SequenceSum         As Long
    Dim SequenceType        As String
    Dim BetArray()          As Variant, MatchResultArray    As Variant
'
    MatchResultArray = rng.Value                                                        ' Load the Input range of data into MatchResultArray
'
    ReDim BetArray(1 To UBound(MatchResultArray, 1), 1 To 1)                            ' Establish the dimensions of the BetArray
'
    SequenceSum = 0                                                                     ' Initialize SequenceSum
    SequenceType = ""                                                                   ' Initialize SequenceType

For ArrayRow = LBound(MatchResultArray, 1) To UBound(MatchResultArray, 1)           ' Loop through the rows of MatchResultArray
        CurrentMatchResult = MatchResultArray(ArrayRow, 1)                              '   Get the value of the CurrentMatchResult
'
'
'
        If SequenceType = "LostOrTied" Then                                             '   Else if SequenceType = "LostOrTied" Then ...
            If CurrentMatchResult = -1 Or CurrentMatchResult = 0 Then                   '       If current input cell value = -1 or 0 then ...
                If SequenceSum <= -5 Then                                                '           If SequenceSum <= -5 Then ...
                    BetArray(ArrayRow, 1) = "No"                                        '               Save 'No' to BetArray
                Else                                                                    '           Else
                    BetArray(ArrayRow, 1) = "Yes"                                       '               Save 'Yes' to BetArray
                End If
'
                SequenceSum = SequenceSum + CurrentMatchResult                          '           Add current input cell value to SequenceSum
            Else                                                                        '       Else ...
                If CurrentMatchResult = 1 Then                                          '           If current input cell value = 1 then ...
                    If SequenceSum <= -5 Then                                           '               If SequenceSum <= -5 Then ...
                        BetArray(ArrayRow, 1) = "No"                                    '                   Save 'No' to BetArray
                    Else                                                                '               Else ...
                        BetArray(ArrayRow, 1) = "Yes"                                   '                   Save 'Yes' to BetArray
                    End If
'
                    SequenceType = "WonOrTied"                                          '               Set SequenceType to 'WonOrTied'
                    SequenceSum = CurrentMatchResult                                    '               Save current input cell value to SequenceSum
                End If
            End If
'
'
'
        ElseIf SequenceType = "WonOrTied" Then                                          '   Else if SequenceType = "WonOrTied" then ...
            If CurrentMatchResult = 0 Or CurrentMatchResult = 1 Then                    '       If current input cell value = 0 or 1 then ...
                If SequenceSum >= 2 Then                                                 '           If SequenceSum => 2 Then ...
                    BetArray(ArrayRow, 1) = "Yes"                                       '               Save 'Yes' to BetArray
                Else                                                                    '           Else ...
                    BetArray(ArrayRow, 1) = BetArray(ArrayRow - 1, 1)                   '               Save previous result to BetArray
                End If
'
                SequenceSum = SequenceSum + CurrentMatchResult                          '           Add current input cell value to SequenceSum

ElseIf CurrentMatchResult = -1 Then                                         '       Else If current input cell value = -1 then...
                    BetArray(ArrayRow, 1) = BetArray(ArrayRow - 1, 1)                   '           Save previous result to BetArray
                    SequenceType = "LostOrTied"                                         '           Set SequenceType to 'LostOrTied'
                    SequenceSum = CurrentMatchResult                                    '           Save current input cell value to SequenceSum
            End If
'
'
'
        ElseIf SequenceType = "" Then                                                   '   If SequenceType hasn't been set then ...
            If CurrentMatchResult = -1 Or CurrentMatchResult = 0 Then                   '       If current input cell value = -1 or 0 then ...
                SequenceType = "LostOrTied"                                             '           Set SequenceType to 'LostOrTied'
                SequenceSum = CurrentMatchResult                                        '           Save current input cell value to SequenceSum
            Else                                                                        '       Else ...
                If CurrentMatchResult = 1 Then                                          '           If current input cell value = 1 then ...
                    SequenceType = "WonOrTied"                                          '               Set SequenceType to 'WonOrTied'
                    SequenceSum = CurrentMatchResult                                    '               Save current input cell value to SequenceSum
                End If
            End If
'
            BetArray(ArrayRow, 1) = "Yes"                                               '       Save 'Yes' to BetArray
        End If
    Next                                                                                ' Loop back
'
    SequenceTracker = BetArray                                                          '
End Function

Upvote 0
Thank you, I'll take a more detailed look at the code, but on initial glance, I may be able to convert it into a LAMBDA driven function with three input arguments for the range of values, X for -5 (non positive or "loss and draw" results") and Y for 2 (non negative or "win and draw results"), i.e. to increase flexibility, but appreciate the effort and inspiration :)

I'll post anything if I manage to create as it would then still satisfy having a non .xlsm version.

Cheers @johnnyL!

Upvote 0
Thank you @JackDanIce! I wish I could help more with a possible formula approach, but I am not that good with the formula side of Excel :(

Upvote 0
This is a formula used in the same spreadsheet the above ask relates to and it's effectively an algorithm proposed within a white paper for some data analysis I'm working on, but I managed to create a single function for it, even though broken down, it requires an input date, fixed variable (lag) and 4 "flag" variables, used to sum or average rows of data into a final value - previously needed 4 calculating columns, now just an output column :)

Excel Formula:
=LET(
    lag, INDEX(flag, 1, 2) - 1,
    rng, LAMBDA(a,
        OFFSET(XLOOKUP(xDate - a - lag, input[Date], input[ABC Calc], 0, 0, 1), 0, 0, a)
    ),
    REDUCE(
        SEQUENCE(ROWS(flag) - 1, , 2),
        LAMBDA(n, b,
            n +
                CHOOSE(
                    1 + --(b > 3),
                    IFERROR(SUM(rng(INDEX(flag, b, 2))), 0),
                    IFERROR(AVERAGE(rng(INDEX(flag, b, 2))), 0)
                )
        )
    )
)

For what I asked here, it's needing to have a temporary store for the accumulation of loses/draws and then resetting it back to 0 each time there's a win or vice versa I was getting stuck on, hence posting to the board for help :) But scanning your code, I think I might be able to convert now aka given me a starting point :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
masterms

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back