formula that looks at several worksheets and counts up how often a word is used depending on two different cell texts

libraryhelp1

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi. I am trying to create a formula that looks at several worksheets and counts up how often a word/phrase is used depending on what is inside two different cells. (I am using Excel 365/Windows 10 Pro.)

Basically, across several worksheets, cell C3/D3 (the cell is currently merged but I can separate it if I need to so that it is just cell C3) has a list of word choices (for example, "adult", "child", "family"), and then cell K8 also has a list of word choices (for example, "high school", "college", "graduate school"). [To clarify, these are lists created by using data validation, so they are drop down menu choices and the exact same on every worksheet.] I need to count how many times, when C3 says "adult", cell K8 says "high school" and "college" and "graduate school", and then how often when cell C3 says "child", cell K8 says "high school" and "college" and "graduate school", and then how often when cell C3 says "family", cell K8 says "high school" and "college" and "graduate school."

This is my current formula: =SUMPRODUCT(COUNTIF(INDIRECT("'"&Students&"'!"&"$K$8:$K$8"),C23)) on my summary worksheet where B23 says "adult" and C23 says "high school" [B24 says "adult" and C24 says "college"; B25 says "adult" and C25 says "graduate school"] -> I just can't figure out how to tell it to look at C3 before counting cell K8 on all the worksheets. Otherwise, the formula works and my worksheets are listed and labeled/formatted as a table as Students so it's counting the correct worksheets already.

Thank you.

Excel Facts

Control Word Wrap
Press Alt+Enter to move to a new row in a cell. Lets you control where the words wrap.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Doanvanhieu

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back