Formula to calculate card processing fees

RJSIGKITS

Board Regular
Hi Guys.

So, I'm really confused here, in that I am trying to work out a formula that tells us what we need to charge a customer to cover our card processing fees.
Sounds simple enough - add the processing fee percentage to the sale, right?..
Wrong, because when I then process the transaction to include the fee, I get charged on the total transaction, so in a sense, paying fees on fees....

EG:
Customer order Value is £5,000
Card processing fee is 2.75%
2.75% of £5,000 is £137.50 - Total charge to customer of £5,137.50
To Process the £5,137.50, I get charged 2.75% on that, which is £141.28 - so I only get £4,996.22 of my order value.

Okay, granted, on the smaller individual orders it's not so important, because we're only talking a few pounds here or there, but on larger orders, and on a decent volume of orders, this actually adds up to quite a lot of extra money to throw away.

I need two excel Formulas that will calculate accurately the amount I need to charge my clients in order to still take home their order value after processing fees (On this example, the full £5,000):

I need one to work it at the 2.75% as described here, as well as one to work out the fees on a transaction with higher fee % (If I Have to key in the card number, as this is considered high risk) at 3.4% of the order value. (It also charges me 20pence in this instance, but I think I can handle a few 20ps here or there.)

Please help, because I'm tearing my hair out, here! :ROFLMAO:

Thanks in Advance

Regards

Excel Facts

Get help while writing formula
Click the italics "fx" icon to the left of the formula bar to open the Functions Arguments dialog. Help is displayed for each argument.
For 2.75% that you get charged, charge the customer 2.83% for you to take home £5000
For 3.4% that you get charged, charge the customer 3.52% for you to take home £5000

I cant supply a formula, I was using trial and error increasing the percentage until I got a £5000 return

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Isn't it this?

Excel 2010
AB
1Order Value5000
2Process Fee2.75%
3Anount to Charge5141.388
Sheet1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
B3=B1/(1-B2)

Upvote 0
For 2.75% that you get charged, charge the customer 2.83% for you to take home £5000
For 3.4% that you get charged, charge the customer 3.52% for you to take home £5000

I cant supply a formula, I was using trial and error increasing the percentage until I got a £5000 return

Apologies for the delay on replying to this, but thanks for working out the values for me, I appreciate it!

Upvote 0
Isn't it this?

Excel 2010
AB
1Order Value5000
2Process Fee2.75%
3Anount to Charge5141.388

<colgroup><col style="width: 25pxpx"><col><col></colgroup><thead>
</thead><tbody>
</tbody>
Sheet1

Worksheet Formulas
CellFormula
B3=B1/(1-B2)

<thead>
</thead><tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>

Aha! there you go!
Thanks buddy, that's awesome!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tungnmqn90

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back