Formula to determine first and last cell of a range containing a numerical value (XL2007)

AOB

Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2016
  3. 2013
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi there,

This one's a bit complicated so apologies in advance...

I have a range which looks as per the below. The 'Count' column is populated by an IFERROR / VLOOKUP combo which refers to a pivot table elsewhere in the workbook. For simplicity, let's say this table's range is A1:B25 on a sheet called 'Data' :

Time
Count
12am - 1am
1am - 2am
2am - 3am
3am - 4am
4am - 5am
5am - 6am
6am - 7am
7am - 8am
8am - 9am
9am - 10am
10am - 11am
11am - 12pm
12pm - 1pm
1pm - 2pm
2pm - 3pm
3pm - 4pm
4pm - 5pm
5pm - 6pm
6pm - 7pm
7pm - 8pm
8pm - 9pm
9pm - 10pm
10pm - 11pm
11pm - 12am

<tbody>
</tbody>

Now - I use this data as the source for a column chart. But I only want to chart between the extremities which actually contain a number (i.e., in the above example, I don't want to bother including 12am-7am or 7pm-12am in the chart as the values are all 0 and I don't want to 'squeeze' the good data between 7am and 7pm unnecessarily)

So - I refer to a dynamic named range for the chart's source data and am looking for a decent formula to define the range such that I only get the times of the day which return actual figures.

I had been using the following :

=OFFSET('Data'!$B$1,MATCH(TRUE,ISNUMBER('Data'!$B$2:$B$25),0),0,MATCH(1,NOT(ISNUMBER('Data'!$B$2:$B$25))*((ROW('Data'!$B$2:$B$25)-ROW('Data'!$B$1))>MATCH(TRUE,ISNUMBER('Data'!$B$2:$B$25),0)),0)-MATCH(TRUE,ISNUMBER('Data'!$B$2:$B$25),0),1)

Which works fine - BUT - only if the values in column B are contiguous. So if all my numbers are clumped together between two times, it works fine. The problem is if there is a gap, the formula will only return the first contiguous range of numerically-valued cells.

(i.e. if there is a number at 5am-6am, then nothing until 9am, then more values from 9am onwards, the formula defines the range as just 5am-6am and I lose everything after that in my chart)

I've tried messing around with various combinations - MIN/MAX, INDEX/MATCH etc. - but can't come up with anything which does the trick. Obviously I can't use COUNTA as the column is populated by a formula so Excel sees none of the cells as blanks.

Can anybody suggest a formula to define the dynamic range between the first and last cells in column B which contain a numerical value (regardless of whether there are cells in-between which don't)

As I say, bit complicated (am probably over-complicating to be honest) but I can't fathom how to do it.

Any and all help greatly appreciated!!

Thanks

AOB

Excel Facts

Square and cube roots
The =SQRT(25) is a square root. For a cube root, use =125^(1/3). For a fourth root, use =625^(1/4).
You could add module with the following code
Code:
Option ExplicitFunction Chart_Range() As RangeDim rng As RangeDim ws As WorksheetSet ws = Sheets("Sheet1") 'change as you likeSet rng = ws.Range(Cells(ws.Range("A1").End(xlDown).Row, 1), Cells(ws.Range("A" & ws.Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row, 1))Set Chart_Range = rngSet rng = NothingSet ws = NothingEnd Function
And then use =Chart_Range() as the formula for your named range.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
In fact, I think you could probably just use =Chart_Range() as the source for your chart series.

Upvote 0
Hi AOB

Try for the named range for the Y values:

=INDEX(Sheet1!$B$2:$B$25,MATCH(TRUE,ISNUMBER(Sheet1!$B$2:$B$25),0)):INDEX(Sheet1!$B$2:$B$25,MATCH(2,IF(ISNUMBER(Sheet1!$B$2:$B$25),1)))

Upvote 0
Oops, not sure where my new lines whent?!
Code:
Option Explicit

Function Chart_Range() As Range
Dim rng As Range
Dim ws As Worksheet

Set ws = Sheets("Sheet1") 'change as you like
Set rng = ws.Range(Cells(ws.Range("A1").End(xlDown).Row, 1), Cells(ws.Range("A" & ws.Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row, 1))
Set Chart_Range = rng
Set rng = Nothing
Set ws = Nothing
End Function

Upvote 0
nuked,

Thanks a million for taking the trouble to write up that function! Unfortunately, I can't use .End as I actually have a number of these mini-ranges in that same 'Data' sheet. I'm pretty sure, though, I could easily adapt your suggestion for a more generic return (e.g. taking a range as a parameter etc.) The idea had crossed my mind to write a UDF but my preference was to use a dynamic range. But thanks!

pgc01,

That formula is perfect - exactly what I needed! Thank you very much for taking the effort!

Cheers everybody

AOB

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ralemanygarcia

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back